Channel Islands

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

art.chick

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
My husband & I just got back from our 2nd diving trip to California's Channel Islands. We have only seen Anacapa, and we would like to see the rest. This time we took the very reputable diveboat "Peace." The crew was great, the food was good, & the hot-tub was hot. and the bunks were spacious.

The water today was 56F according to my computer, the viz about 7', and the surge heavy. That did not stop a visit by a playful sea lion. We saw a universe of technicolor anenomes, gorgeous fissures peopled by lobsters (some huge, one very tiny & locamoting cutely. I have never seen a lobster swim around like that before.) There were tons of mackerel, keyhole limpets, seahares, and hermit crabs, spanish shawl nudibrachs, some garibaldi & sheepheads, opaleyes, and 2 mid-sized sheepcrabs. One threatened us!

I am in love with Anacapa now. Hoping to see San Miguel Island soon.

Being from the northeast I am used to diving in cold water. I much prefer diving in the warm water of the Caribean, however I'll dive anywhere.

This March I dove out of San Diego. This was the first time I every dove from California. I expected the waters to be as warm as the water in Hawaii. What the heck, it is one big Pacific Ocean. Plus San Diego had palm trees. Surprise. I know that the hot soup they had on board tasted mighty fine when we stepped out of the kelp forrest.

haha, hope you at least enjoyed your dives if not the temp here in san diego. I know that the warm water diving I've done has been a dream. :) Still, you can't deny how cool kelp forests are.

Benncool - Southern California beaches/water look warm on TV (how else could they show you all that cleavage, a wet suit unzipped down to the navel? Where do they get front zippers?) but now you know the truth! LOL!! Next time, ask on Scubaboard...

Seriously, as a coastal dweller, I do not have air conditioning at home, and my parakeet refuses to fly if it much over 70 degrees - he finds it way too hot!

I just got back from my first live-aboard on the "Truth." The crew was helpful and nice, the food was awesome, and the diving was great. (The quarters are a bit cramped, and not much space for your personal gear.)

The sea was unusually calm so we got a rare chance to dive farther reaches of San Miguel Island, Richardson Rock, and Wilson Rock. We also ventured over to Santa Cruz Is. and dove in front of Painted Cave.

There are fantastic walls (not huge, but COVERED with lush tapestries of life) and cracks and heads. Playful sea lions swam around us at several sites. I definitely will go again to these isalnds, and would reccommend the Truth Aquatic charters.

BTW, I was using my new DUI TLS 350 dry suit. I LOVE it! It's a very comfortable suit. With a warm Aeroskin and polartec pants/shirt I kept very warm in the 55 degree waters.

Have a better one,
Paul

Yes, Truth aquatics has a good reputation here in LA, too. I also like the Liberty for the Channel Islands. Kelpmermaid, I have read that even the red swimsuits on that show are individualy designed to flatter & reduce flaws in the various actresses (ie higher cut legs, lower cut neck, but you'd never notice it). I need a personal dresser to make me look good in my 5mm! We may have cold water, but we've got stuff well worth the neoprene.

What, like underwire neoprene? Do we need to move this to the Women Only Forum, or does that offend? Isn't red a no-no for spider veins? Must be a younger target audience...can't believe I said that (or even harbored that thought...)

San Miguel offers some good diving, but sea conditions have allowed me to venture there only once. It's kind of like finding a four leaf clover. The island is part of the Vision's itinerary, when weather permits.

I was planning on diving with the Spectre or the Peace. Art.chick was your vis only 7'? That's pretty dismal vis. Did you sleep on the Peace? One of their options is a 2 day dive and you sleep on board. Great price too!

Howdy,

divrnr...
On my dives (San Miguel & Santa Cruz Islands) the viz was between 15 feet and 40 feet.

Sometimes I hear the viz can be much higher.

It ain't tropical, but when you get up close, it's just as (or more so!) amazingly beautiful!

. paul

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom