Characteristics of Mistral Regulator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Richard,

The only reason your DA Aquamaster would whistle is if there is some corrosion in the oriface someplace, or some other obstruction in the airstream. Otherwise, it should be fairly quiet--not like the DA Aqualung (the first U.S. Divers regulator, but quieter than a Mistral).

Thanks for the info on the whistle! I'm sure it will go away with the rebuild/upgrade.

I did get the RAM from VDH today! What a beautiful regulator. Now I have to decide whether to get it wet or build a trophy case!

Richard

A whistle often means something is vibratring/resonating as it moves and that is often due to inadequate lubrication. In a Da that woudl possibly be in the seat carrier where the o-ring bears on the stem of the seat.

A honking sound on the other hand is more often a lower frequency vibration caused by a diaphragm or duckbill issue.

I think you are momentarily confusing a DA Aqua Master with a Royal AM...there are no O-rings on a DA (I know that you know that :wink: ).

I also tend to think there is a bit of corrosion causing some friction on some moving part.

Thanks for the info on the whistle! I'm sure it will go away with the rebuild/upgrade.

I did get the RAM from VDH today! What a beautiful regulator. Now I have to decide whether to get it wet or build a trophy case!

Richard

You can do both. Just dry it before storing it in the trophy case.
:D

I saw the pictures of that RAM you bought. Bryan out did himself on it. If had the cash i would have bought that one myself. That's one cool reg! The Mistral uses one o-ring, but it's not used to seal anything. It serves as a guide for the pin that pushes on the seat. Yeah you need it, but if it starts going it won't be a tremendous problem. it won't cause a leak for instance as the seat and volcano orifice are the only "sealing" parts. I'm not suggesting to leave it go as it needs to be maintained like anything else. Just not as critical. The Mistral is a noisey beast until it's in it's element, underwater. Then it works like a champ. Cousteau used these regs to dive the Brittanic. About a 370 foot dive. That ain't too bad.

Jim

I think you are momentarily confusing a DA Aqua Master with a Royal AM...there are no O-rings on a DA (I know that you know that :wink: ).

I also tend to think there is a bit of corrosion causing some friction on some moving part.
That's what I get for checking the board in a hurry at work...

On the other hand, if there is an o-ring in a DA, it would probably cause a whistle and should be removed. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom