Charlston South Carolina

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lawman

Reaction score
I'm going to Charlston for the first time
next month. Just for a few days to see the
sights. Any advice on a nice ante-bellum B&B
restaurants, and sightseeing??:)

Try "#2 Meeting Street". Very nice B&B right on the battery. Big wrap around front porch, built in the early 1800's. The epitome of the antebellum B&B.

You have to eat @ Hyman's on Meeting St. It's a Charleston tradition. As well the Crab Pot has terrific seafood.

If you really want to do something that you can do no where else in the world try a couple of dives in the Cooper river. These are some of the richest fossil beds in the world. It is all blackwater diving (vis about 1 to 2 feet). You need a strong light, extra weight so you stick to the bottom, and a long handled screwdriver to dig into the botom so the current doesn't carry you away. It is all about 35 to 40 ft and artifacts of all sorts are scattered everywhere on the bottom.
I have sharks teeth that are 6" long and are over 12 million years old. One of my buddies pulled out the last 40" of a Mastadon tusk...pure ivory. Who knows how old? I have indian artifacts (pipes, pottery, arrowheads) all about 200 years old, many revolutionary and civil war era shards of pottery along with hundreds of sharks teeth up to 6" long.

Check out www.offthewalldiving.com and look at some of the pictures of the items we have taken out of there. It is truly a unique experience...although not for the faint at heart!

Dave

sorry...meant to say the indian artifacts are about 2000 years old.

You also need a goody bag.

Dave

I think I'll try out the B&B. Not diving this trip but
laying the groundwork for later!!:)

Back
Top Bottom