Cheap small dive light project

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gcbryan

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I converted a $16 machined aluminum small flashlight (approximately 5" long by 1" in diameter) into a dive light. This is a led with an output of about 100 lumens running on 3 AAA batteries or 1 rechargeable (18650) li-ion battery.

I did it as an inexpensive way to test the concept and to get some experience without wasting a lot of money.

The bottom line is that I have now tested it on a dive to 100fsw (multi-level profile) for a total dive time of 45 minutes. I turned the light off at 100 fsw (4 atmospheres) as a worst case scenario type of test. Turning the light off using a twisting tail cap requires unscrewing it a bit. No leaks.

I used a Romisen RC-K4 flashlight from DealExtreme. This had a clicky type of tail switch. I disassembled the switch, removed the microswitch, and kept only the metal retaining ring, rubber end piece, and the spring mounted on a board.

This left a hole in the end of the tail cap. I used the rubber end piece in reverse to fill it in. I filled the concave portion of the rubber with silicone and covered the entire outer end of the tail cap with epoxy. I filled the inner bottom most part of the tail cap with silicone.

I replaced the retaining ring and simply set the spring with board on top of that. I put some silicone grease on the threads and screwed it together. The light as sold was not a dive light but as are most lights today it was water resistant meaning it does have small o-rings where needed.

I unscrewed the bezel and popped the lens out, removed a very flimsy o-ring (threw it away) and used marine grade silicone sealant in the groove for the o-ring. I put the lens back in and used the sealant along the perimeter of the back face of the glass lens. I put more silicone sealant on the threads and screwed the bezel back together.

On the outside of the lens I used the sealant along the outer perimeter as well. I unscrewed the head from the body and used silicone on those threads.

A few dollars worth of sealant and epoxy and a $16 flashlight and I have a small 100 lumen backup light comparable to the UK SuperQ eled selling for $125 at my local dive store and of course that's just a plastic light.

This was really just more of a proof of concept project for me. If I see a well made flash light with the emitter and other features that I want at the right price I now know that I have a good chance of converting it to a dive light.

No one was more surprised that I when my light made it to 100fsw without any issues!

The attached pics aren't that good but the first is a stock clicky switch, the second is after the modification, and the third is of the lens (it's just barely possible to see some irregularities from the silicone).

Attachments

• clicky.jpg
    clicky.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 155
  • twisty.jpg
    twisty.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 186
  • lens.jpg
    lens.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 162
I was thinking about this for a long time already, the clicky switch was the issue... You have a smart way to get around it, there are also other solutions out there a bit more expensive probably... I like the idea of a reed switch myself... but more complicate to put in place.
I'll keep this post as I definitely plan on doing this kind of stuff... need a backup light, this one can easily fit in my drysuit pocket :wink:

The only thing is... we can get a decent one (I guess) from divegearexpress for ~50$ this is not really expensive :p

There are some advantages to modifying a cheap light just for the learning experience which will carry over to other projects. One benefit with this particular light is that it fit's perfectly in the Oxycheq Soft Sock for the Raider so you can use this light hands free if you want to.

I said it was around 100 lumens but actually it is a XRE-P4 I believe so the led itself is rated at 160 lumens or something like that.

I converted a $16 machined aluminum small flashlight (approximately 5" long by 1" in diameter) into a dive light. This is a led with an output of about 100 lumens running on 3 AAA batteries or 1 rechargeable (18650) li-ion battery.

I did it as an inexpensive way to test the concept and to get some experience without wasting a lot of money.

The bottom line is that I have now tested it on a dive to 100fsw (multi-level profile) for a total dive time of 45 minutes. I turned the light off at 100 fsw (4 atmospheres) as a worst case scenario type of test. Turning the light off using a twisting tail cap requires unscrewing it a bit. No leaks.

I used a Romisen RC-K4 flashlight from DealExtreme. This had a clicky type of tail switch. I disassembled the switch, removed the microswitch, and kept only the metal retaining ring, rubber end piece, and the spring mounted on a board.

This left a hole in the end of the tail cap. I used the rubber end piece in reverse to fill it in. I filled the concave portion of the rubber with silicone and covered the entire outer end of the tail cap with epoxy. I filled the inner bottom most part of the tail cap with silicone.

I replaced the retaining ring and simply set the spring with board on top of that. I put some silicone grease on the threads and screwed it together. The light as sold was not a dive light but as are most lights today it was water resistant meaning it does have small o-rings where needed.

I unscrewed the bezel and popped the lens out, removed a very flimsy o-ring (threw it away) and used marine grade silicone sealant in the groove for the o-ring. I put the lens back in and used the sealant along the perimeter of the back face of the glass lens. I put more silicone sealant on the threads and screwed the bezel back together.

On the outside of the lens I used the sealant along the outer perimeter as well. I unscrewed the head from the body and used silicone on those threads.

A few dollars worth of sealant and epoxy and a $16 flashlight and I have a small 100 lumen backup light comparable to the UK SuperQ eled selling for $125 at my local dive store and of course that's just a plastic light.

This was really just more of a proof of concept project for me. If I see a well made flash light with the emitter and other features that I want at the right price I now know that I have a good chance of converting it to a dive light.

No one was more surprised that I when my light made it to 100fsw without any issues!

The attached pics aren't that good but the first is a stock clicky switch, the second is after the modification, and the third is of the lens (it's just barely possible to see some irregularities from the silicone).

You may want to try JB Weld to fill the tail piece next time. I sets rock hard unlike silicone. It's always nice to do something that works isn't it... Congrats and good luck on your next one as I am sure now you caught the bug!!!

You may want to try JB Weld to fill the tail piece next time. I sets rock hard unlike silicone. It's always nice to do something that works isn't it... Congrats and good luck on your next one as I am sure now you caught the bug!!!

I did use something like JB Weld to fill the tail piece or rather 2 part marine grade epoxy.
It might not be clear in my description but to seal the hole I just reversed the rubber tail cover and plugged the hole with that. That created a depression. I filled the depression with silicone just as a filler (just in case the hard epoxy might tear a hole in the depression). Over the tail cover flange (in other words the entire flat section on the tail of the flashlight) I did use the epoxy.

So the entire outside of the tail cap now appears to be one hard piece of metal.

It was nice to do something that actually worked and it's a fun light to work with as it's such a nice size.

I'm not entirely clear on how I would replace the emitter if I choose to. It appears to be sealed on top of a screwed in metal place and I'm not entirely sure how to get to the driver either so there's still so practical experience and learning ahead of me!

Turning the light off using a twisting tail cap requires unscrewing it a bit. No leaks.

you were lucky! this type of switch is easy to leak.
you had better not place trust in the O ring & thread of the light purchased from Dx.
it is necessary to check the durability of its waterproof.
good luck.

you were lucky! this type of switch is easy to leak.
you had better not place trust in the O ring & thread of the light purchased from Dx.
it is necessary to check the durability of its waterproof.
good luck.

It depends on the light of course. This light is well made with a long section of thread and a (small) o-ring. I also used a little silicone grease just to help out a little.

The tail cap and the lens are the weak link so epoxy for the tail cap and marine grade clear silicone sealant for the lens. It made it to 30 meters (4 atmospheres) and passed the most stringent part of this test which was turning the light off at 30 meters.

I actually have more concern with twisting heads than twisting tail caps all other things being equal. No real logic to that concern however! I would certainly prefer magnetic switches.

Have you flooded any lights with any of your project lights?

Last edited:
I did something similar a few years back - used silicone sealant, and not epoxy. The light failed at 80 FSW. Subsequent to that event, I started filling my lights with mineral oil to ensure the pressure differential would be minimal.

Then I got tired of surfacing smelling like baby oil...

Will try to do another LED light though. You guys just rekindled the bug.

I did something similar a few years back - used silicone sealant, and not epoxy. The light failed at 80 FSW. Subsequent to that event, I started filling my lights with mineral oil to ensure the pressure differential would be minimal.

Then I got tired of surfacing smelling like baby oil...

Will try to do another LED light though. You guys just rekindled the bug.

I know of a few people who used to do that and perhaps still do...it's a little too messy for me.:wink: Changing batteries must be fun! It is an interesting concept though.

Once difference today as opposed to several years ago (I think anyway) is that more lights are at least designed to be water resistant (can be dropped in a mud puddle and survive). This at least means there are small o-rings at key places and many times longer sections of thread. I think threads on metal lights are probably finer than on plastic and therefore more water resistant.

I'm not sure but it seems pretty easy to water proof everything except the lens area. Silicone works at least up to a certain pressure. I'd prefer o-rings there but unless you have a lathe and the skill to cut new o-ring grooves there's not much you can do there with o-rings if the design doesn't already support them. Simply putting a thicker o-ring in a bad design will leak.

Hanachan (prior post) got me in the mood with his posts with pictures on another board!

I know of a few people who used to do that and perhaps still do...it's a little too messy for me.:wink: Changing batteries must be fun! It is an interesting concept though.

Actually, the oil filled light was my can light. Used SLAs and would charge through the red port on the top (where I'd top off the oil too)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom