Cheaping out on Trimix - travel gas

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

?? do you never use oxy to deco???
No. It's a damn nuisance. Drives up the CNS, is sensitive to the stop levels (what if you're decoing out on a shot line?) and you need a booster.

80% is far easier: need 170 bar of O2 then top off with 62 bar of air for 232 bar.
80% is quicker to get on to at 9m
80% is safer if you've a bouncy stop or cannot stop at 6m (if you're on a shot line!)
80% doesn't need gas breaks
80% doesn't kill your lungs
80% makes negligible difference to deco times (as you're on it earlier)

Midwest US (Chicago area) - last week I paid $372 for 4xLP85 (filled to 3000 psi) for 20/20. $4.60/cft. That’s just the helium.
16c / litre. Struth, that's expensive!

1 ft^3 = 28 litres

No. It's a damn nuisance. Drives up the CNS, is sensitive to the stop levels (what if you're decoing out on a shot line?) and you need a booster.

80% is far easier: need 170 bar of O2 then top off with 62 bar of air for 232 bar.
80% is safer if you've a bouncy stop or cannot stop at 6m (if you're on a shot line!)
well I could also list things against 80%...
Just enjoy your dives :)

Edit: my longer response via phone somehow got wiped out. This is v uncommon advice these days.

21/35 to 45m/150ft..

5.5ATA * .21 = 1.15PPO2 which is pretty darn close to 1.2PPO2

Also 57m ~= 190ft

I stopped reading after your first 2 mistakes in the second sentence...

Wait, I pursued a little more... what agency is promoting 1.4PPO2 for the bottom portion of a technical dive?

_R

Regarding fills. 21/35 is the "standard gas" for use down to 57 metres / 170'. If you're not diving to that depth and aren't GUE person (or other dogmatic agency), you're allowed to use other gas fills that better matches the depth you'll be diving to, i.e. far cheaper mixes given that helium is so expensive.

For example, diving to 40m. You could do this on 28%, but with narcosis. Add enough helium to bring up the END*** (Equivalent Narcotic Depth) to whichever depth you're personally happy with. Lets just say you'll tolerate an END of 30m.

Thus you could use a mix of 28% oxygen (MOD = dose over mix = 1.4 / 0.28 = 5ata = 40m)
Add 20% helium the formula using ATA is
END = (1 − fraction of He) x Depth_in_ATA – 1
= (1 - 0.2) x 5 – 1
= 0.8 x 5 – 1 = 30m

So your "cheap" mix is simply 28/20 for an END of 30m when diving to 40m.

Again, for a 45m dive:
O2 = 1.4 / 5.5 = 25.5%, round to 25%
He at 27%
END = (1 - 0.27) x 5.5 – 1 = 30m

Thus dive with 25/27 mix at 45m.

As most dives the you're diving above the max depth, you could reduce your Helium a tad (don't mess with the O2 MOD!). For 45m, many people consider the right gas is 25/25.

Or, to put it another way, you can dive with expensive mixes. Or you could do more diving! When you do more diving you'll be a lot less bothered about narcosis and expensive gasses; but that's for you to decide based upon your experience and the type of dive; if it's particularly complex (penetration, current, workload) then use more helium. If it's looking at the pretty fish, cheap may be better!

*** END; do or don't you count O2 as narcotic in END calculations. A topic for another thread.

Midwest US (Chicago area) - last week I paid $372 for 4xLP85 (filled to 3000 psi) for 20/20. $4.60/cft. That’s just the helium.

With an average wage of 26k USD per year(post tax) in Belgium that's just not really feasible to dive OC helium in such quantities regularly.
that's one sixth of my yearly wage in helium if I did one dive like this every month (at your 375 bill for 20/20).

The only option for me, unless I get rich or something, would be to dive ccr if I ever decide to dive alot with Helium.

21/35 to 45m/150ft..

5.5ATA * .21 = 1.15PPO2 which is pretty darn close to 1.2PPO2

Also 57m ~= 190ft

I stopped reading after your first 2 mistakes in the second sentence...

Wait, I pursued a little more... what agency is promoting 1.4PPO2 for the bottom portion of a technical dive?
I don't speak cubits, so do rough calculations for feet and inches. Science uses metres.

1.4 for the bottom, 1.6 for deco. Who did you learn with?

I don't speak cubits, so do rough calculations for feet and inches. Science uses metres.

That’s super rich for working portion of dive.

TDI, NASE, PADI, GUE, IANTD, NSS-CDS just to name a few..... None of them promote 1.4 bottom PPO2 for trimix dives.

A few will promote up to a 1.4PPO2 in their basic nitrox course (less than 30m/100ft) on a RECREATIONAL dive.

But alas, here we are, in the advanced forum, in a thread discussing technical gases ..... where a 1.4PPO2 doesn’t belong.

Still waiting to hear who advocates a 1.4PPO2 for the bottom or ‘working’ phase on a technical dive..

_R

TDI, NASE, PADI, GUE, IANTD, NSS-CDS just to name a few..... None of them promote 1.4 bottom PPO2 for trimix dives.

Just checked my course notes from one of those agencies and it's clear that 1.4 is mentioned for the bottom phase.
...Balanced against this is the fact that an OC diver will plan their bottom mix at a PO2 of 1.4 and their deco gas at a PO2 of 1.6 while a CCR diver might plan their dive using a setpoint of 1.3.

Now your references please...

Back
Top Bottom