check out dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

citygrl

Reaction score
Hi there.... I'm just getting started with my month-long certification course and I can't wait!
Here in DC the diving is definitely less than optimal and check out dives are done in a quarry in Pennsylvania. My question- I'm going to Hawai'i in October and want to dive while I'm there. Should I suck it up and do my check out dives here before I go or wait and get certified by referral in Hawaii so I can do more advanced diving there??

Hi citygrl,
I live in DC also and I would recommend doing them here. First of all, you won't waste time doing skills underwater on your vacation and can focus on seeing all the neat stuff Hawaii diving has to offer. Second, you will appreciate the diving there more since you will have experienced a nasty old quarry first. Third, you will be more comfortable in the water with a few checkout dives here and a little more experience before you go and won't be as worried about being underwater. I am curious why they are doing the checkouts in PA since Millbrook quarry is only about 30 mins from DC...?

the certifiction dives locally and get in some dives locally before the trip. That way you will be more proficient when you get to Hawaii.

Who knows, you might catch the scuba bug.

Must.. Get.. Wife.. Off... Computer...

Long.. Weekend...

Must.. Dive..

thanks for the recommendations. not quite sure about quarry location-- i think it's about an hour away. I'm taking the course with SPE dive school, I think they have a couple of sites that they use. I think I'll probably check out here-- it's a big expense but i think it'll probably be worth it.
have a great weekend!

If u can dive at home, regardless the lackluster conditions, you stay primed for anything! I constantly see locals (who refuse to dive in cold water) return & return for refreshers every time they have a vacation to the tropics. Then there are those who "just dive it" & are more than ready for any vacation that comes their way. Be a local diver first.

I agree with O-Ring. I did it the other way-did the open water dives in Nassau. I now know it was a waste of 2 days of diving. But really had no alternative, as I did classroom in Jan. in Chicago.
I am one of those divers who refuses to dive in cold water. However, I avoid the refresher courses by going on vacation more often :winkbl:

I'd do your certification locally. As an analogy lots of people from the UK opt to take their Private Pilot's Licence in the US. The main reason is cost but the other attraction is that the weather is pretty much guaranteed (most schools are in Florida/Texas/Arizona/California) so your flight programme won't be interrupted by bad weather. Only problem with that is that they get back here where the weather is marginal much of the time, they aren't equipped for it. If you train locally then there's nothing in Hawaii you won't be able to handle. Best of luck!

Regards

Cold water diving can be more challenging than the warm waters you'll find in Hawaii. The temperature at the quarry may not be too bad though. Remember you'll be in a thick wetsuit and it has been a hot summer, you may actually enjoy cruising through the cool water! We have a shallow quarry nearby (30 foot max.) that has become almost uncomfortably warm this year. You almost have to wear a 3mil suit in there, anything else is too warm.

I've never been diving in Hawaii but I have a degree in geology so I'll offer you one word of advice. If the water at your chosen site looks like it's boiling, find another dive site!:wink: Nothing like a little molten lava to screw up a good dive! :boom:

Safe diving to you! Enjoy!
Ber :bunny:

I agree with O-Ring. I did it the other way-did the open water dives in Nassau.

Where in Nassau did you do your checkouts? I did mine with Stuart Cove's...

I now know it was a waste of 2 days of diving.

Agreed...while everyone else was taking in the reefs/wrecks, I was on my knees doing skills and then getting 10-15 mins to tool around the dive site.

Back
Top Bottom