check out dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I can relate to this entirely - as I went thru this scenario last year and made a big mistake.

First, do them LOCALLY. If one can dive in extreme conditions as in the North, they can dive anywhere. I used to think that diving in low vis or cold conditions was dangerous and scary. In fact, just the opposite. While not the most IDEAL of conditions, what it does is that it pepares you for what MANY diving conditions are in mnay areas - cold water, diminished vis, etc.

Go do them locally, with your class and your friends and get them out of the way. When you go on vacation, you'll be 'good to go' to start diving and taking in the fun - instead of wasting valuable time (and resources - $$) on 2 days of check outs.

Quarry diving can be really good diving - with many times clear water!

I did my check outs in NY in fresh water and it was pretty mild at 54 & 59 degrees (yes, I was TOASTY with my 7mm wetsuit on) and the vis was very good. But, at times, when we stirred up the water and when it rained the eve before our dive, vis was, at times, down to a few feet. THATS when I realized when I was down there doing my skills, that if I can dive here in these conditions, I can dive anywhere's - pretty much.

Go dive locally - I had a blast with some of my classmates and formed some friendships form check out dives.

Good luck!

PS Sometimes it can be tricky business getting some agencies to issue you a referral form, especially for 'competing' agencies.

O-ring alot of dive shops do there check outs in PA and at lake rawlings thats where im doing my aow on 8/17 if your free come down.

Do it locally. From a cost perspective it should be cheaper to do it locally then in Hawaii. I got certified in Oklahoma. Total cost for the course was $150 compared to $385 at the Divi in Cayman Brac. Sure did the open water in a Lake. But if you can dive in a Lake with about 6 ft of vis then you shouldn't have any problems in the good stuff!!:D

Best of luck on your course and have a great vacation in Hawaii.

Jerry

Jerry,
I am originally from Tulsa and was wondering where you guys dive out there? I didn't dive when I lived there so I have no idea...only thing I could think of would be either Tenkiller or Keystone?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom