Checking baggage and locking it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've heard TSA "approved" locks have been cut, or worse, the luggage was damaged because airport security checking the luggage didn't have the key for the so-called TSA-approved locks and had to force open the luggage.
Stick to a zip-tie. They are cheap and you'll know if your luggage has been physically searched when the zip-tie is gone (and they'll leave a note inside).
Enjoy your trip to FL. Dive safely.

Unfortunately, there is no safe way to lock your baggage. I work at a major international airport and have seen many cases where TSA agents were the ones stealing items from your luggage. If you use a TSA approved lock, it only makes it easier for them to steal your gear. Best way is to get the least flashy luggage and blend in. There is no reason why they should open your luggage after it's been x-rayed and loaded on the belt. Most of the thefts happens when your luggage is waiting to be loaded on the plane. I've seen items such as laptops, cameras, entire set of golf clubs, etc. stolen by baggage loaders. 99 percent of aiport employees are honest hard working people. But that other 1 percent commit 99 percent of aiport theft.

Best bet is put a cable tie on if its gone you know your gear has so don't claim it but choose another case i always go for a flashy pelican with dive stickers on it.

only joking .......

....any dive bag will do not just a pelican

my akona bag has a sleve that fits over it so it looks a bit less exciting. but i think it just makes me feel good and doesn't do a bit of good.

i suppose if you put explosive stickers on it people would be scared to mess with it right?

it seems that criminals probably get better $$ for things like computers and jewelry though. they sell much better on 'the street' where as a hot set of regs probably don't sell as well at the swap meet. criminals are in it for the easy deal.

Don't get too fancy of a bag and use ty wraps. Some tape to cover fake holes makes your luggage look less appealing also.

A year or two ago I did a survey regarding theft of dive equipment, and it indicated that although people are pretty much afraid of it happening, it is actually an extremely rare occurence. Thieves are apparently not really excited about the possibility of fencing a BCD. I think we worry about it too much.

The only person I know who used a TSA-approved lock had it cut open by TSA.

Travelling through Palau, Yap, and other islands a few weeks ago, where they hand check everything in front of you, I watched the zip tie people cut open and refasten all their zip ties over and over and over and over and over and over.... Not for me.

My sense is that if they want your stuff, they will take it, and there is nothing you are going to put on it that will make a bit of difference.

I used an old beat up rolling bag this past January with a TSA lock, not one problem!

I think as long as it doesn't look like a DIVE BAG it doesn't appear like a dive bag it ISN'T a dive bag...

I normally ship my stuff though....easier, and less to carry! (UPS stores will hold your package for you)

EvaL- I've read all the posts and agree that if someone really wants to get into your bag they will. I also agree that electronic equipment and other smaller items of value are probably more attractive targets for a potential thief since they're easier to conceal and to unload on the street.
I laugh when I try to imaging a luggage handler trying to leave work with my big bright yellow Apollo Bio Pros, like carrying two flares!
However, in answer to your original post, you can get decent TSA locks at ebags.com
I recently bought a two pack of four digit TSA padlocks for about $14. The arrived in just a few days, and as far as locks go, they seem to be of good quality. You have to set the combination for your own person numbers, but the directions were straight forward and I set them both from their 0000 default to my own number in about three minutes.
Now, I posted a smililar thread a few weeks ago and some responders said you could also buy them at WalMart for a lot less money. I can't attest to their quality because I haven't seen them, but I guess if they're relatively cheap you wouldn't feel as bad if TSA goes ahead and cuts them off.
Well, good luck. I'll let you know what TSA does with them when I travel in about two weeks.
Susan

On a flight home from Fiji my wife and I had our bags inspected by TSA personnel. They walked over and asked me for the combination to our TSA approved locks, because they had misplaced their master key.
We've since decided that on future dive trips we'll be using nondescript baggage with plain zip ties. Travelling by plane is a roll of the dice anymore, and there is no magic solution to security.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom