Checking your own tank valves

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Uraluni

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
My wife an I were in Jamaica recently (not a serious dive destination, but since we were in the area of warm water, we thought we'd get some dive time in).

We're generally colder water divers in the Jersey and sort of colder water of NC (we use the same gear in both zones).

However, I must say that both of us are often annoyed that Caribbean boat mates often check tank valves and twist them around prior to someone entering the water.

During our dive in Jamaica we experienced a problem with a boat mate closing my wife's tank valve. The valve wasn't closed all of the way, but it was enough to cause problems about 20 minutes into a shallow dive (approx 40 ft.). Initially, her computer was showing some wacky info, but we both shrugged it off to possible a battery problem. We both carry two computers, but only one of each of ours is tank integrated.

As we've done a couple of times in the past, if one of our tank integrated computers goes wonky, we'll rely on the others computer (she also still continues to use a mechanical tank pressure gauge as well).

Shortly after her computer issues, her mechanical gauge started pegging 0-2000, and she indicated to me she was out of air. I popped my octo into her mouth and we both surfaced. It took about 15 minutes of us shouting to the guy on the boat for him to finally turn around and notice us (I can say I was truly pissed off). If there were any kind of real current, we'd have been long gone.

I should have noticed the signs that a pegging mechanical pressure gauge was an indication of a closed valve, but when my wife is in front of me, nearly on the edge of panic, telling me she's out of air, my first thought is to put my octo in her mouth and surface.

There was also a "divemaster" with the two of us during our time on the island. I don't like having some local dive guy driven down my throat when I don't really want one. He wasn't really watching what was going on with the two of us anyways. However, at some point he realizes that we're on the surface and surfaces himself. I give him a brief description of what happened, and the first thing he does is move behind my wife and starts fiddling with her tank valve. I immediately told him to NOT touch that valve, but the damage was already done.

When we got back to the boat, we figured out she still had 2000 lbs of gas in her tank. I know her valve was open, because I checked it for her before she jumped in the water. The boat mate "checked" it additionally before she jumped in, but I'm guessing that he just moved it in the direction with most movement. I don't really know for sure what was in his head, but given that we were bobbing on the surface 50-75 yards away from him screaming ours heads off for around 15 minutes before he noticed anything...I'd leave it up to anyone's imagination what a Jamaican small boat operator has on his mind.

I try my best to dodge the DM's since they refuse to NOT touch my valve which is kept fully open. After I get in the water I confirm for a second time that it is fully open. If they are sneaky they can get it a half turn closed on my while I heading off the back.

Sneaky devils!

I'm glad things worked out ok in the end.

Yes, we teach our students to have their tank valves "full on" or "full off',.... Then there's no question about the valve's position. Either it will breathe more than a few puffs of air or it won't. I also check my valves before & once entered into the water.

Yes, we teach our students to have their tank valves "full on" or "full off',.... Then there's no question about the valve's position. Either it will breathe more than a few puffs of air or it won't. I also check my valves before & once entered into the water.

Yeah the more I hear about these things happening the more convinced I am that the full-on/full-off approach is better.

Uraluni, If a DM or anyone else fiddles with your gear or with your buddy's gear just before getting into the water simply take a second and double check the essentials again. It only takes a second and it will give you peace of mind.

R..

Does anyone know why we teach divers to Fully Open and then turn 1/4 turn back? (I have a theory but I don't know if it's accurate.)

Does anyone know why we teach divers to Fully Open and then turn 1/4 turn back? (I have a theory but I don't know if it's accurate.)

I'll reach back in my brain to my old Army days with regard to this behavior. Backturning a valve a quarter rotation or so helped to ensure that the valve didn't get stuck when you needed to close it. This wasn't regarding scuba tank valves, but larger one's dealing mostly with water or fuel.

I'm not sure how relevant that idea is today, but it's been banged into my head for so long, that I don't give it half of a thought.

A lot of boat crew members seem to have a bit of dyslexia.

It's worth it to develop more flexibility in your right shoulder so you can just reach back and check your own tank valve any time you feel like it.

Terry

One of the jobs of boat crew members (and buddies) is to check that your gas is on. And they can screw it up. I don't try to stop people from doing their job but I do watch to see they do not screw it up. I have never had a boat crew member mistakenly turn off my gas but my buddy got it wrong once. When they reach for my valve, I can tell by what they do whether they changed the position or not. If in doubt, I breath and observe my SPG or have another person re-check it. Finally, while it is not easy, I do practice and can access and operate my valve UW.

I'll reach back in my brain to my old Army days with regard to this behavior. Backturning a valve a quarter rotation or so helped to ensure that the valve didn't get stuck when you needed to close it. This wasn't regarding scuba tank valves, but larger one's dealing mostly with water or fuel.

I'm not sure how relevant that idea is today, but it's been banged into my head for so long, that I don't give it half of a thought.

That's the explanation I remember being given as well. And like you, I don't think about it now, I simply do it. Heck, I even turn the tap for my washing machine a quarter turn back after opening it - without realising it...

Maybe it's time for some conscious reconditioning ...

Part of my pre-dive sequence is to check my tank valve before I descend (but while I'm in the water). I was on a boat last weekend when the DM touched my valve just before I splashed. I knew he did it, and it didn't matter because I was going to check it on the surface. I reached back, checked my valve (he did not close it, btw), finished my pre-dive sequence, and then decended with my buddies.

I'm a stong believer that every diver (single tank or doubles...) should be able to reach their valve(s) and should do a check on the surface before every dive. If you can't reach your valves, it may be a technique thing....if you've exhausted every tip and trick and still can't reach the valve for some reason, I guess you should have a (trusted) buddy check it for you....but make sure you trust the buddy and they really know what they're doing and don't accidentally close it like the DM....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom