Checkout dives, here I come!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hmmm.... Wonder if you could wear that '63 for ballast when
sailing. Afterall, it's not like it'd contribute to drowning if /when
you did bail :)

And 40 extra pounds out on the trapeeze has to be a good
thing.

Although, on the whole air-shut-off, and surprise-mask-removals,
and all that, wow am I ever starting to feel like my training was
on the easy side.

Jamie

divedude once bubbled, in part...

...being a freediver your likely very good on air, so a 63 will last you as long as most on a 80...
In the log pages I had to complete for the OW course, there was a formula at the bottom that we could use to get a rough idea of our SAC rate. My best dive (the deepest! to the Aloha) had me at about 25.5 psi/min. Is that good?

I was never the student to turn any dives based on pressure. (since we were doing it as a group, whoever ran out first turned the whole dive)

My tanks were almost always turned in with 1200-1500 psi still in them.

jrtonkin once bubbled...
Although, on the whole air-shut-off, and surprise-mask-removals, and all that, wow am I ever starting to feel like my training was on the easy side.

That's the whole idea however - when was the last time you scheduled with your buddy or a perfect stranger to have him kick your mask off? Or deliberately swam too close to something and had that reg snagged right out of your mouth and hung up where you couldn't sweep for it? (I'm imagining here, I don't know if such things really do happen or not)

As pufferfish mentioned, sometimes "stuff happens". That's the reason that army recruits spend soooooooo much time on the parade square going over drill movements - after a while it gets to be so routine they can receive the command and carry it out by reflex, without thinking about it. I think that's what my instructor has been trying to accomplish with us. He talks of "building muscle memory" - he wants us to go through the motions automatically without thinking about each little detail.

He mentioned to me that sometimes if he's on a dive with his DM or safety diver (outside the classroom of course) sometimes they'll just remove their masks and swim around for a while without. For fun.

FreeFloat once bubbled...

In the log pages I had to complete for the OW course, there was a formula at the bottom that we could use to get a rough idea of our SAC rate. My best dive (the deepest! to the Aloha) had me at about 25.5 psi/min. Is that good?

I was never the student to turn any dives based on pressure. (since we were doing it as a group, whoever ran out first turned the whole dive)

My tanks were almost always turned in with 1200-1500 psi still in them.

Your doing great and it will just get better! :)

I'll bet that if you use a 63 you'll feel a lot more comfortable. If you want to try one, and Adam doesn't have one available, You can try one of mine.

Just wondering:

How does someone manage 175 posts on the Scubaboard without being a scuba diver?

cse

cse once bubbled...
Just wondering:

How does someone manage 175 posts on the Scubaboard without being a scuba diver?

I also 'freedive'...... the unofficial description of freediving is "a foot on a breath" - although I much prefer 20 feet for 40 seconds or so. Long enough for some sightseeing before one has to surface. It's admittedly a COMPLETELY different experience than scuba.

Yes, Tom R is correct: you wouldn't believe how much I've learned here! (inasmuch as you can trust ANYTHING you find on the Internet) Especially when you find the same ol' arguments dredged up, cleaned off, and re-posted and re-argued. After a while you get a feel for what is common practice and what is taboo.

FreeFloat once bubbled...

buddy or a perfect stranger to have him kick your mask off? Or deliberately swam too close to something and had that reg snagged right out of your mouth and hung up where you couldn't sweep for it? (I'm imagining here, I don't know if such things really do happen or not)
Stuff does happen. I've had my masked kicked a couple of times in low vis (didn't see the foot/fin coming). Had a zip tie break and the reg come out of the mouthpiece (is that why we carry an octo?). On the Connie at the 1st OFWF get together, my wife had a bubble of air in her hood and when she pushed on the top of her hood with her hand to get rid of it, her mask rode up and off (fortunately with the strap around her arm, so no searching for it). She then (it looked calmly to me, she says not) put it back on and cleared as we continued our drift along the hull.
Practice and keeping calm will sort most issues out without harm.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom