Chemical Light Stick/Glo-Toob/Strobe: Colour question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Vie

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Do divers still use Chemical Light Sticks? I know that they are not exactly the most environmentally friendly thing you can carry around.

My question is this: do the different colours of chemical light sticks and Glo-Toob (the chemical light stick’s battery powered LED equivalent) mean something? Is there a locally and/or internationally accepted meaning for the use of a particular colour? I guess my question would cover the use of different coloured strobes as well. Anyway, just curious.

No internationally accepted meaning that I am aware of. My only consideration has been light absorption in water as red/orange colored light sticks are going to have their light absorbed before blue/green colored light sticks. But practically speaking this is only a consideration if the visibility is enough to make a difference - greater than about 30-40 ft.

Strobes as in the ZOT ZOT ZOT kind? Those would be best in white (clear lens) because that will travel farther that a light that has been filtered, and farther is better in a rescue situation.

we use chem sticks night diving...just makes it easy to see someone if their light goes out...you can use your light to help them find their spare then...

also it stops them sneaking up and scaring the hell out of you...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom