Chillies and Native Sons

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If I remember correctly, there are no safes in the rooms and I don't know about one in the office, though I didn't see one. I wasn't staying there and always had my wallet and a few other items in a large camelback that I carried down there with me each morning That I didn't really want to drag onto the boat with me. I was instructed to just leave it in the office (Chillies, not the dive shop) with the girls who run their front desk for them. I never had any problems with the exception of once coming back and needing my wallet and they were out to lunch with the door locked. I would just throw anything valuable in a small bag and leave it with them. I trust them more than the security guards who seem to be come and go at random times. If you do decide to leave anything in your room, hide it well and in more than one spot. It's been my experience that petty theft is usually very quick and they won't spend much time looking around for things as that leads to getting caught. Usually a snatch and grab kind of deal. Just try to not carry more than say $40 on your person at any time and make a dash for the ATM's a few days before you leave and start paying off bits of your balance at a time instead of all at once. If you can't find anything in West End that is cheap (highly unlikely) you could stay where I did. Roatan Backpackers' Hostel       an island paradise at a backpacker's price - Roatan Backpackers' Hostel It's in Sandy Bay which is a $1-2 cab ride each way from West End and takes about 15 minutes to get there. A bit removed but they always seem to have people there and it was cheap. After a week I stopped paying for cabs and just started hitching as everyone was pretty cool about it. Usually only trucks will stop and you just jump in the back without even saying anything and give the window a little knock when you're ready to hop out. Although I'm not a female so only take that as far as you're comfortable. Your best bet for baleadas is the little one that is on the beach each night in West End. No name, just a couple of ladies, a homemade grill, and some good eats.

I think the String of Pearls phenomenon happens a week before and a week after a full moon. It's a night dive that you turn your lights off for awhile and I won't spoil the rest. Let's just say it damn near made me tear up. One of the most beautiful displays I've seen nature put on.

Seriously jealous of you right now. Have fun and safe diving.

Heard back from them and they do have a safe in the main office, good to hear! She also told me that since I'm planning on diving my butt off with them that she would reserve a dorm bed for me. :) I'm already so happy with my decision to stay with them and I haven't even bought my plane ticket yet!

---------- Post added May 24th, 2013 at 10:37 AM ----------

Your next ATM option is at the grocery stores in Coxen Hole (somewhere tourists have no business being if it can be avoided).
Native Sons told me the shark dive is in Coxen Hole, and to take a taxi there....I assume it's safe enough to go there by myself for this?

I personally (I'm 6'4") wouldn't go to Coxen Hole alone at night. During the day it's fine, any cruise ship except Carnival ports there. I walked around during the day downtown near the food store - everyone seemed friendly. Lots of kids, mothers etc. doing normal things.

Any cab driver will drop you right at the shark dive center location also. You can often have the same one pick you up. I had a "driver" for a good part of the week in the West End. Same guy who always seemed to be there when I needed him. Asked him more than once to meet us at a specific place/time and he did. I may have mentioned this but the cab stand for the West End is literally 200' from Chillies. They park right across the "square" by the Coconut Tree Dock.

If you can find a group that's going from West Bay/West End, they often share a van. It was $10pp. for us.

Is it easier to use USD or the local currency or is it all the same? I'm wanting to buy local produce and shop at the markets and things like that and wondering if it's just easier to switch my cash. What about travelers checks? Does everyone accept them?

You can use US dollars or Lempira, everyone accepts both. It`s also an easy conversion at the moment at 20L to the dollar. Most of the restaurants as well as Woody`s and Coconut Tree grocery stores take credit cards. I don`t know anyone who accepts traveller`s checks (maybe the large resorts) so I wouldn`t bother taking any.....cash and credit cards are the way to go. We use our credit card at the ATM to get cash, then log onto our credit card account and make an immediate payment (from our bank account) to avoid any interest charges.

' If you can't find anything in West End that is cheap (highly unlikely) you could stay where I did. Roatan Backpackers' Hostel an island paradise at a backpacker's price - Roatan Backpackers' Hostel It's in Sandy Bay which is a $1-2 cab ride each way from West End and takes about 15 minutes to get there. A bit removed but they always seem to have people there and it was cheap. '

I just discovered this thread, so sorry for my slow response :) Thanks Scubafied, for mentioning our hostel! For guests staying at Roatan Backpackers' Hostel, there is a dive shop in walking distance, Octopus Divers, and they offer special pricing for hostel guests. The hostel's a great option if you're traveling on a budget: there's a communal kitchen, and several inexpensive places to eat near by. There are a few lock boxes in some of the storage compartments under the bunks of the dorm rooms- they're free to use, just a refundable deposit for the key. We also have inexpensive private options, including apartments that have their own kitchens and bathrooms.

I often left my wallet with the dive shop the first few days I actually carried one. I usually carried no more than 200-300 L as that would buy most anything I needed during the day. In seven weeks there was always cash at either of the cms, either the one at coconut tree, or the one next to the Mares shop. I usually withdrew no more the 200-300 $. Usually in lemps, Unless you are making a large purchase $20 bills and larger, and 500 L can be difficult to cash sometimes. Coxen Hole did make me nervous in the evening. I usually did a weekly shopping trip as I cooked a lot. The collectivo(Van) was 25L to Coxen Hole, Taxi would/could be 35-40L, during the day. Once the Collectivos stop running(around 5-6pm) the taxi fare goes through the roof. Of course you could find a taxi to round trip, and wait while you shop, depending on time of day it would be $5-$20.
YES, the Native Sons boat made me drool...... as I dove with CTD.

We stayed at Chilles 2 years ago in the bungalo-shack things. Decent for the price but I do remember dogs barking every night. I did a discover SCUBA gig with Native Sons. Had such a great time with them I now am advaced open water certified with my own gear. Not sure when you are going but it is off-season there. We stayed at the Blenny cabin (secluded, A/C works well) and a place next door to Reef Gliders dive shop (would have been OK except some rat bastard stole our bathing suits, shorts, tevas and flip flops. They were on the porch and accessible but still...

When we were there at the beginning of this month I think that Native Sons didn't have enough divers for their big boat. They were using a smaller panga.

We dove with Reef gliders both this year and last. Really nice operation and people. Same price with gear or without.

---------- Post added June 17th, 2013 at 04:03 PM ----------

Oh yeah...Reef Gliders has a safe in the shop for your swag. We also travel with a travel safe from the Pacsafe company. We bring combo locks so we don't have to schlep a key around...We lock our stuff to something sturdy and difficult to break. Make 'em work for it! It is great for piece of mind.
Pacsafe Anti-Theft Bags & Travel Security Products | products

Back
Top Bottom