China's Largest Shopping Site Bans Sale of Shark Fin Products

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SinoScuba

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
This is huge. For a company in a prominent position like Taobao (owned by Alibaba.com Group, listed on the Hong Kong Stock Exchange), this makes an enormous statement and will make many people reconsider their consumption of shark fin.

Please write to Taobao at johnspelich@hk.alibaba-inc.com and thank them for making this bold and courageous move.

Please also note that major Chinese figures including basketball star Yao Ming and China's women's diving team (including Olympic gold medal winner Guo Jingjing) have come out against eating shark fin.

Here is the relevant information, in English: China's Largest Shopping Site Bans Sale of Shark Fin Products

and in Chinese: ÌÔ±¦Íø½«½ûÊÛ¡°Óã³á¡±_¿Æ¼¼_·ï»ËÍø

Please spread the word. This is a fight we can win!

Thats great news! Hopefully more company's will follow in their footsteps.

I can not imagine diving knowing that sharks are not roaming the seas anymore :depressed:

Salud!

Roy

That is great news. I certainly hope this can get the ball rolling so it can get some momentum behind it.

That's fantastic news. It's about time that a major company did something like this, since the rest of the world take notice when the big guys do something.

Darn it where will I get my shark skin boots from now? :)

I thanked them and feel this was an important move on their part. I've conducted research with Chinese scientists and had dive buddies from China, so I know something of the depth of this cultural tradition and the desire of the upwardly mobile there to have access to it. After protesting them earlier, I was very pleased to be able to thank them now.

Brilliant news to hear.
Just sent an email to thank them.

That is great news and a giant step. Now if we can get the parent company Alibaba.com to stop listing shark fins on their own sites... Just a quick English search on their site pulled out this. Probably a lot more if you search in Chinese.

shark's fin Manufacturers & Suppliers

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom