chinese can lights

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

HA HA>>.this is awesome. What's hilarious to me at least is how we took a crappy light, helped the manufacturer re-design it so it was awesome, had a ton of time/energy/fun into it, buy hundreds at a time which has a huge cost, pay import duties and taxes on every light, market the hell out of it, bring you guys a light that nobody can touch on price and quality for 2 years, sell THOUSANDS of them... Only for the manufacturer to realize the success and branding that was done and take that same light, mass produce it to ANYONE that will pay money, kill the price to lower than cost so they can sell direct to YOU killing more jobs here.....and we are the bad guy that just re-labels a Chinese light. Hilarious!

You're starting to see Chinese manufacturers go direct to consumers. That is why the pricing is so low....guess what, that is an economy killer. If you don't think China is doing that on purpose, then I can't help you.

I will say that we work hard to bring great products and pricing to our customers, and can't help if others piggy back or steal that. Our new light we are working on is coming along nicely, and it's design is sure to make people notice! When you see copies of it, be sure to remember who did it first, and don't label us a re-labeler :wink:

That's very interesting. I had no idea that you actually worked on the design at all. If I'd seen something about that one the product page I may have come out with a different tune. I'm interested to understand the way this works, especially in the case of DRIS a DGX products. What I'm getting from you is that the shorty existed in some form before, then you contacted the manufacturer and told them to make some modifications for you, and then you bought a big batch of the newly modded lights? I would GUESS that US laws would prohibit them from selling the DRIS-spec light because it was your work that went into the redesign, but of course, they're not a US company. Do have all this right? I'm happy to admit I was mistaken if you did, indeed, contribute to the design. I suspect you can see the reason for the common mistake?

---------- Post added August 15th, 2014 at 11:05 AM ----------

.... I can show you emails of when I asked my contact there to make us a canlight, and was told they couldn't do it. I can share with you the many emails I sent them trying to get them to make us a custom goodman handle. Brinyte may predate alot of domestic brands, but the 1000 lumen you see in it's current form is 100% from us, I helped design the shorty and still have early concepts on my desktop, I was the inspiration and push for their can light and the first person they came to about buying it. You may only see it as a new brand Stingray, but you just joined a few months ago....I know the whole history of that company :wink: and have been there with them for awhile. I would challenge you to find that light before we introduced it.... :D Won't happen

So, you designed the light, it predates the brynte and rebranded brynte on amazon? Then, it seems like this manufacturer is not the best one to work with. If you're designing, or co-designing the light, the DRIS light is like any number of other brand-name products, and you have someone selling your product out the back door. That sucks. If this is all true, then you need a new manufacturer and someone who can write a binding contract with the guys.

That's very interesting. I had no idea that you actually worked on the design at all. If I'd seen something about that one the product page I may have come out with a different tune. I'm interested to understand the way this works, especially in the case of DRIS a DGX products. What I'm getting from you is that the shorty existed in some form before, then you contacted the manufacturer and told them to make some modifications for you, and then you bought a big batch of the newly modded lights? I would GUESS that US laws would prohibit them from selling the DRIS-spec light because it was your work that went into the redesign, but of course, they're not a US company. Do have all this right? I'm happy to admit I was mistaken if you did, indeed, contribute to the design. I suspect you can see the reason for the common mistake?

So, you designed the light, it predates the brynte and rebranded brynte on amazon? Then, it seems like this manufacturer is not the best one to work with. If you're designing, or co-designing the light, the DRIS light is like any number of other brand-name products, and you have someone selling your product out the back door. That sucks. If this is all true, then you need a new manufacturer and someone who can write a binding contract with the guys.

It was my understanding he was saying the DRIS 1k (the 3C light) was their design originally, before it was the DIV01. I didn't get that the DIV03 (their shorty) was a proprietary design, but I really haven't looked into that one.

I don't think the can was their design that was ripped then made, but maybe I could be wrong. They started carrying the can 6-8 months after it was released by brinyte.

NO, we helped from day one on the design of the Shorty, it wasn't a product before we helped them. We helped from the concept to the testing to the finished product. I didn't have any agreement with them, which is my learning experience on my part. My point was just that I don't want to be labeled the re-labeler, when we didn't do that. That is all. I'm not bashing the manufacturer, it was never stated it would be exclusive...again, a learning experience for me. I don't want this to overshadow anything though in terms of the contract and such. I just want it to be known that we did more than just relabel a light and put it out there like everyone else is doing now. That isn't fair to us, or the work we did all along the way. That's all :wink:

---------- Post added August 15th, 2014 at 10:13 AM ----------

It was my understanding he was saying the DRIS 1k (the 3C light) was their design originally, before it was the DIV01. I didn't get that the DIV03 (their shorty) was a proprietary design, but I really haven't looked into that one.

I don't think the can was their design that was ripped then made, but maybe I could be wrong. They started carrying the can 6-8 months after it was released by brinyte.

No, the DIV01 was already a product, it just was a poor design and nobody was doing anything with it. We helped fix the issues, branded it, and sold a ton of them at a killer price to people. That light was a HUGE success, a great price point, and an awesome light after it was updated. Now you see it everywhere, in different forms and in different variations as well as QC.

The shorty was not proprietary, due to me not thinking about it at the time. Brinyte was NEVER heard of in the US...there was no need for it at that point in time. That has changed over 2 years though, and it is what it is.

As for the can light, I had bugged them for again 2 years to make a canlight, that they said they weren't interested in making. Then, they made one with no input from us. That is why we don't really sell or push it, it's not up to our standards as a final finished product yet. Them getting in to the canlight business was because of us, but we didn't design anything.

WOW, lol...does that help sort it all? :D

....I just want it to be known that we did more than just relabel a light and put it out there like everyone else is doing now. That isn't fair to us, or the work we did all along the way. That's all :wink:

...does that help sort it all? :D

It does. Thank you very much for clarifying. You've convinced me that you're not a re-labeled, but a modifier, and thus fully deserve your markup and good reputation. I expect that in the future we'll see more good products from you, and now I understand better what's gone into them. I'll look forward to seeing your *secret light* coming out soon, and hope that you've worked out a better deal with your manufacturer so I don't find the same light a couple months later for 1/3 the price on amazon. In any case, I'll refrain from buying the factory-direct light, as i now see they're a back-door sale that I can't feel good about. Best of luck.

Looks like i opened a can of worms..anywayvi just wanted some feedbacks on those, kind of affraid with dealing with alie. But if dris is gonna come up with something comparable to it im in...nohing but great things to say about dris

NO, we helped from day one on the design of the Shorty, it wasn't a product before we helped them. We helped from the concept to the testing to the finished product. I didn't have any agreement with them, which is my learning experience on my part. My point was just that I don't want to be labeled the re-labeler, when we didn't do that. That is all. I'm not bashing the manufacturer, it was never stated it would be exclusive...again, a learning experience for me. I don't want this to overshadow anything though in terms of the contract and such. I just want it to be known that we did more than just relabel a light and put it out there like everyone else is doing now. That isn't fair to us, or the work we did all along the way. That's all :wink:

From the sounds of it, you guys don't actually have any R&D team, but are just some divers that QA tests them, and make suggestions on how to improve things, based on looking at designs from other torches.

I've seen companies in the US, that, when going offshore, actually goes there, work on the moulding/machining/assembly process so that the final product is in fact the same as the prototype engineered by the US company's engineering team. And of course, the patents are submitted so that nobody, including US competitors don't also copy the design (there are other US companies at play when the product field has enough innovation).

Of course! I'll do a preliminary tear-down before it gets wet to double check everything, and will post some photos.

Here was the cheapest I could find it: 3000LM CREE XML U2 Scuba Diving 3 LED Flashlight Torch 150M Underwater Outdoor | eBay

And that lists it as 10degrees, which is plenty tight. It hopefully will have a decent amount of spill, because 3000 lumens is plenty of light to spread around. That is probably an overestimate, but even half that OTF will be insanely bright, and brighter than 90% of cans selling for 10x the price. Hopefully it proves reliable.

One thing I do think is odd is the long skinny can. Id have preferred 3x2 26650s (2 high, arranged in a triangle) for double the burn time and a more stout canister. I'll be trying to attach this to the backplate though, and not in the usual DIR waist belt.
You need to search better...! It's "out there" for 150$ including batteries, charger and world wide shipping via DHL :wink:

I can hook you up with that light for $145...but it might be a couple weeks until we place an order though :wink:

Are you going to be selling that light through your website soon? I have been interested in this light as well.

You need to search better...! It's "out there" for 150$ including batteries, charger and world wide shipping via DHL :wink:
To clear things up, this was a mistake by dragon. He did not find it for that price. Additionally, I'd hesitate to pay any premium for batteries and chargers because there are so many bad cells out there and it likely you would be shipped something you would end up replacing anyway. If you are able to find it for less than $155-160 please feel free to let me know.

I just created a full review of the DIV10 3000 lumen light here:

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/lights/491554-brinyte-div10-3000-lumen-canister-light-review.html

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom