Chiropractic affects on diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

grouchyturtle

Contributor
Reaction score
I saw an article in a recent issue of Men's Fitness about chiropractors. According to the article each vertebra of the spine and it's nerve has an affect on a different part of the body. I noticed in the diagram that one of them is said to affect the nose, mouth, and Eustachian tubes!

So would getting an adjustment have a positive effect on a diver's ability to equalize?

It's funny you post this. I had a chiro adjust my neck, and it's been killing me after every dive since. So, I'm not sure about it improving. I think my neck got sprained. :D

In theory, it could. But only if there is a problem/chiropractic misalignment to begin with. I would not suggest the average diver get adjusted for the primary reason you asked about, but the other long term positive effects (ex. reduction in arthritic problems) may just help maintain your quality of life, and keep you diving longer as you age! :wink:
As for tampascott, sorry to hear about your clearly negative experience. It is critical to get a Qualified referal when choosing a chiro. Preferably from someome who has some real comparison and has personal experience being worked on by the Doc in question. Does your neck only bother you after diving???

I have a friend who is a neuro-ophthamologist. She has been a professional witness in numerous chiropractic induced stroke cases. It happens fairly frequently.
Lloyd

As for tampascott, sorry to hear about your clearly negative experience. It is critical to get a Qualified referal when choosing a chiro. Preferably from someome who has some real comparison and has personal experience being worked on by the Doc in question. Does your neck only bother you after diving???
It bothers me worse after diving, no doubt due to the way I am trimmed out in the water and flexing my neck to see. I've had chronic neck problems for a long time; it waxes and wanes.

By the way, I didn't mean to sound like the chiropractor hurt me, or that I'm anti-chiro. Nothing could be further from the truth. I've gone off and on since a serious car accident back in 1983, and chiropractic adjustments have been about the only thing to manage the pain at times. In fact, the reason the last adjustment hurt was likely my own fault. I haven't gone in for about 9 mos, so I was locked-up pretty bad.

I've seen reference to those studies that chiropractic adjustments can cause CVAs, but I haven't seen anything credible enough to keep me from going.

:bonk:

What would prompt you to EVER go to a Chiropractor? My God!
Go on the net and read some of their stuff. If it were simply back rubs than OK..pay for a massage if you want. But these people can hurt you or worse, cover up symptoms so you don't get proper treatment.
I've deposed a hell of a lot of Chiropractors in lawsuits and wouldn't ever let one touch me.

Lawman,

You don't believe everything you hear under oath, do you?

All that "so help me God stuff." i thought I was the last one on the planet to consider perjury morally wrong!

But, actually, I like the rub too. The therapist has some nice, shall we say, credentials.

:mean:

I rarely believe ANYTHING I hear under oath or not.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom