chlorine Skin rash or something else?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

corc

Registered
Reaction score
I just moved to naples florida and began diving; bought a 3mm Bare full suit. After my first two pool sessions, I never got any sleep because i had a rash in small areas but much more around the shorts area and the tops of my feet.. I itched all night. Is it possible that the suit has a chemical that caused this or can chlorine cause that against the skin. I can't go on like this everytime i dive. Any suggestion or answer is welcome. Do i need to try another suit or am i doomed.

it's the Cootie's!!!!! :D

sorry, couldn't resist. Sounds like to much chlorine in the pool.. Good luck, don't scratch

baitedstorm:
it's the Cootie's!!!!! :D

sorry, couldn't resist. Sounds like to much chlorine in the pool.. Good luck, don't scratch

It's ok, Thank's for the input

did you try the suit in the ocean?
did you have the same rash after the ocean dive?

if you haven't been in the ocean yet, you could try rinsing your suit out really well with fresh water, then putting it on, sit in the shower or outside. If you are fine, then it probably is the chlorine.

You can get an allergy to the stabilizing agents used to make the neoprene but usually those will give you a rash over the skin covered by the suit.

Give that a try. If not, you could always take an antihistamine such as claratin or benadryl before your dive. Just watch out for these drugs, especially benadryl, it could make you very sleepy.

good luck

baitedstorm:
Sounds like to much chlorine in the pool.. Good luck, don't scratch

No. Too much chlorine wouldn't do this.

High levels of combined chlorine would burn the sinuses first, so your symptoms don't match this either.

If its a pool chemistry problem, the pH is probably too low. Otherwise, it could be as previously suggested, a chemical in the neoprene that you may be sensitive too nad may go away after a few dives.

TwoBit

you know, this sounds wierd but I had a condition that maybe is similar to yours:

I was never allergic to chlorine or polyester t-shirts. But I noticed if I were to put on a t-shirt which has some polyester in it (50% were the ones I was wearing) after coming out of the pool, I would get strong scratches. I am no chemist, but I think chlorine was reacting to polyester and producing something that was unacceptable to my skin.

Is there polyester in that suit? I am actually thinking about buying a Bare full suit too.

Chebby:
you know, this sounds wierd but I had a condition that maybe is similar to yours:

I was never allergic to chlorine or polyester t-shirts. But I noticed if I were to put on a t-shirt which has some polyester in it (50% were the ones I was wearing) after coming out of the pool, I would get strong scratches. I am no chemist, but I think chlorine was reacting to polyester and producing something that was unacceptable to my skin.

Is there polyester in that suit? I am actually thinking about buying a Bare full suit too.

no polyester in the suit, nice suit just can't stand itching all night, i am going to take it to the ocean and try it out.

It was mentioned earlier up the thread but it sounds more like a ph problem with the pool. We have a local pool that will cause the skin to get very dry and itch when the ph is off.

Back
Top Bottom