Choosing 2 spots to dive in Costa Rica

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

underseahunter

Registered
Reaction score
Hey everybody.

I have been reading about spots to go on the mainland of Costa Rica. My trip is short and in the first weeks of december. Besides Cocos Island, what are some advanced dives to see the big critters? BTW btdt three times to Cocos on M/V Seahunter.
I have imagined that two days on each coast, but where? My itenerary is such that presumably I will crossing the Panamanian border on the east coast first. I have heard that the diving Puerto Viejo is very typical of the caribbean... lots of small fish and coral, but devoid of large schools of fish, and breathtaking walls or structure. On the west coast I have heard that Flamingo is the best jumping off point to go to the islands nearby offshore. I will defer to anyones experiences and input.
Diving every weekend in Florida is nice, but I want to see what else is out there.
Thanks in advance. C

When I was in Costa Rica in 2008, I dove Catalina and Bats Island, we saw manta rays, white-tipped sharks and bull sharks. Check the time of year you're going with the LDS to make sure they are running boats to Bats or Catalina Island.

DM suggested for my return trip I do Cano Island on the Pacific side of the country, he said it's the best diving in Costa Rica. I've never done Cocos Island but hear it's also amazing for spotting larger marine life.

underseahunter,
the diving conditions can vary quite quick so you may contact the dive shops one week before to check for the current conditions.

I would suggest to stay on the pacific coast if you wan't to see big fishes.
Do a search here about diving the carribean coast of Costa Rica and take your decision if
it's worth for you to "waste" one day driving to the opposite coast.

Let me know your schedule and i can help you to fit all your needs together.

Best regards

Chris Karrer

Chris Karrer,
I think a bad day diving is better than a good day at work... That being said I don't want to raise the ire of anyone in Puerto Viejo, and impune their dive sites... without seeing them first hand.
Yes, I am a bit spoiled in that I have dove some awesome spots here in florida, cocos island, and almost all over the caribbean.

Originally, I had indeed planned to waste a day driving/busing up from colon panama to cross the costa rican border at sixaola (south eastern caribbean coast). My cuise ship can also drop me off a day earlier in Limon so I can have an extra day in CR. Thus avoiding the road trip I just spoke about...
So I have a pitiful five days in CR. My last trip there was for 36 days, 20 of which were on the liveaboard. So I now plan to take the bus from limon to san jose, pick up a rental car, and make a "beeline" first either to cano area, or to catalina/bat area. This time of year (december 2009) I have heard that there are likely to be schools of mantas in catalina/bat islands.
I understand the two premier areas to dive are the ones I just listed. After looking at the weather maps I see that the south western area (cano) gets 240 inches of rain a year. And the Catalina/bat area just 40-60 inches a year. Runoff causin bad viz? It does here in florida even though we have the super strong gulfstream current... it can still take days to move the dirty water up from miami past palm beach county where I live...
So given that I really only three days of diving. The first day travelling west and the last 24hrs offgasing before I fly... I am trying to decide on where to stay and where to dive.
I see that from your signature that you are in "playa herradura." I see that y'all are close to jaco?

What do you think of my ideas and plans? With particular emphasis on going first to cano.

I am looking at the deals that include car and hotels on a seemingly comprehensive travel site called " vacationcity dot com " They have very little to offer in drake bay however...

Thank you in advance for your candor, and any advice you may have.

Sincerely,
C

Underseahunter,
i am sorry for the delay but i was some days away.

I meant wasting a day regarding driving from one coast to the other (and back) and not because diving in the cariibean coast of Costa Rica is a waste.

As you arrive al Puerto Limon and have 5 days there are this solutions:
1. Get a Taxi to Puerto Viejo, dive there 3 days and relax
2. Get the Plane (or a rental car) and fly/drive to Playas del Coco or Flamingo, dive there 3 days and relax
3. Get a car and drive to Herradura/Jaco, dive and relax
3. Get the Plane Puerto Limon - San Jose - Bahia Drake and then Bahia Drake - San Jose - Tamarind/Liberia - San Jose.
So you can dive Isla del Caño and Islas Catalinas,
but it's almost impossible to do that by car due that each destination is more than 10 hour to drive from the other.
Be informed that you will need to book your flight ASAP in case that you opt for this solution!
Yes, river runoff of can greatly influence viz, but algea and plancton can greatly influence viz as well!
I dove whole Costa Rica and worked in Playas del Coco and my experience was that there is nowhere a guarantee that viz will be more than 20 foot.
The only place i know where viz is mostly good is Isla del Caño due his particular position and currents bringing clean water up from the south.
Bahia Drake has 3 dive resorts and enough other accomodations to cover a price range between 20$ and 200$ per night.

Best regards

Chris Karrer

Definitely take the lil plane. It's cheap and you are there before you know it.

Last edited:
When I was in Costa Rica in 2008, I dove Catalina and Bats Island, we saw manta rays, white-tipped sharks and bull sharks. Check the time of year you're going with the LDS to make sure they are running boats to Bats or Catalina Island.

DM suggested for my return trip I do Cano Island on the Pacific side of the country, he said it's the best diving in Costa Rica. I've never done Cocos Island but hear it's also amazing for spotting larger marine life.

We did these dives in May of 2007. From what I understand, the weather/off-shore conditions are best for these from April to around July or so, and then after that it might get a little too bumpy off-shore to get to Bat Island for the Bull Sharks:

NXAEF-BullShark-1.jpg

:cool2:

Thank you all for your experienced input.

For some reason I did not get the "notice" from this board or my email until just now...

So I have already made my arrangements as follows.

Day1 Disembark at Limon 9am take bus to Guapiles, get rental car and drive to La Fortuna.
Day 2 Drive around Arenal and lake road on the way to Flamingo to check in.
Day 3 Go diving catalinas/bat islands
Day 4 same as above.
Day 5 Maybe one or two tanks, then drive to San Jose.
Day 6 Return rental car and fly home.

Now as to specific operators for Potrero and Flamingo...
Anybody have any feedback on operators, level of diving, and travel time out the islands?

Please post here, and thank you all for your informed help.

Lastly I am drooling to dive Cano and think that it will have to wait until my next trip to CR.
Maybe...

Thanks
C

Chris,
What airlines is the local puddle jumper from SJO or LIO to drake bay? In case I am saturated with nitrogen can I get the plane to fly low? :)
Thanks,
C

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom