Choosing a 7mm

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Which Bare 7mm did you purchase? I'm looking at the Reactive and the Velocity 7mm's.

I ended up getting a the Reactive 7mm. With 5mm gloves and a hood I was very comfy in 57 degree water for 2 dives of 35 minutes each. I was actually pissed off as I still had 1500 lbs of air and the DM and other divers some in dry suits locals where low. I just thought felt the locals should have been better then my pansy Florida diving butt. :)

Fast forward 6 months and 3 quarantines later... I think i would get the BARE 7MM Step-in Hooded Vest and put that over my 3mm for better movability. Using the 7mm for my cave and deco classes, it is so darn thick....

I ended up getting a the Reactive 7mm. With 5mm gloves and a hood I was very comfy in 57 degree water for 2 dives of 35 minutes each. I was actually pissed off as I still had 1500 lbs of air and the DM and other divers some in dry suits locals where low. I just thought felt the locals should have been better then my pansy Florida diving butt. :)

Fast forward 6 months and 3 quarantines later... I think i would get the BARE 7MM Step-in Hooded Vest and put that over my 3mm for better movability. Using the 7mm for my cave and deco classes, it is so darn thick....

I got a 5/3 hooded vest to wear under my old wet suit. If not warm enough on my next trip to California I'll get the Reactive 7mm. Last trip temps were 52 to 57 and I was cold on some of the dives. For some reson the salt water makes me feel colder than when in fresh water of the samer temp.

People need to chill with the drysuit recommendations. Once you take into account replaceable seal systems, undergarments, and accessories, taxes, and fees, that Seaskin will be a $1400 purchase. Then you need to account for training costs and time, and even more time to practice your skills until you are comfortable. Still an amazing deal don't get me wrong, but it is nowhere near the ballpark of a wetsuit or semi-dry.

You can find a used large semi-dry in great condition for $250 and it will be fine for a couple of years of late spring travel diving.

I recommend that you get one of these hooded vests to go over your 7mm suit. This is what I dove before I got a drysuit.
7MM Step-in Hooded Vest - BARE Wetsuits and Drysuits

I agree..... I had the Arctic full suit and hooded step-in vest for years and now a Reactive with the Bare Elastek version of the same vest. I agree that it's one of the next best things to a drysuit. With aqua socks and Seasoft Stealth boots interleaved with the leg seals I feel ZERO water entry at the legs.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom