Choosing a LDS

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jimmyz19

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello everyone,
New diver and was wondering how loyal one needs to be to the certifying dive shop. I have 4 shops with in an hour of me, maybe even more then that but 4 that I know of. While I do not feel there is anything wrong with the closest shop, also my certifying shop, I have noticed that I can get better deals and high quality equipment at some of the other shops, one impiticular. Should I worry more about supporting my certifying shop or should I worry more about the quality items/service that is more affordable and just as good at the other shops?

Thank you in advance for ALL input.

Ask each shop a few questions:

$$ charge for air fills
do they have an associated dive club (if so attend next meeting of each)
do they do local diving
are they a "technical" dive shop (if you think that you may go that way)
brands of regulators they sell
list of upcoming training class times and dates.
are they associated with one particular dive boat or do they move around
do they have social events other than dive club meetings
can they suggest a good dive buddy for you

-pick one or two shops that are a good personal fit. There is a lot more to it than just saving a buck on a purchase. :wink:

I also have a 4 shops within 45min. I try and spread the wealth around, not just to save a buck either. It allows me to meet many more people and build more relationships ie more dive buddies. Besides your certifiying shop may not always meet your every need.

I have about 5 dive shops in about 45 mins drive. Don't feel regulated to just 1 shop, my 2 favorite shops to deal with are also two of the furthest. They don't have the best prices, but they try their hardest to make up with it in Customer Service.

Example, farthest shop from me was only distributor of DUI stuff, bought a weight harness from them, they knew I was in a rush and got the part in 2 days, and since I'm coming from so far away and also needed some extra dive training, knocked the cost down some. I get there and noticed the belt aspect of the harness was just large enough. They extended the length and reinforced some of the stitching - for free. They are also, by and far, the most active shop as far as trips to S. Florida in the area.

Thanks for the imput so far. I didnt really mean to sound like I was only worried about saving a buck or two. The other shops have a good vib to them and I felt using them for some stuff was also a good way to meet other divers, like what smorneau said. I was just kind of wonder what the standard was for supporting your certifying shop. Please keep the input coming.

Thanks for the imput so far. I didnt really mean to sound like I was only worried about saving a buck or two. ......./........

You didn't, just convenient to key off that idea.

.....//..... I was just kind of wonder what the standard was for supporting your certifying shop. ...//......

Never forget that you are the one with hard-earned cash in your wallet. The standard applies to them, not you. :D

Personally I go with the shop I did my OW dives with (by referral) because they've made it worth it to me. With the end of my OW dives they gave me a t-shirt for free. They also send me birthday coupons every year. It's not much, but it does say something about the shop. They are middle of the road as far as pricing but the shop manager has known my name from my first visit to the shop and treats me well. I'm slowly warming up to the owner after a negative first impression. Overall I generally shop around and buy wherever I find something I need at a reasonable price but my first stop is always the same shop. They also happen to be the closest for me so that helps them too.

We only have two shops in town where I live. I would have to drive over an hour and a half to get to three or four more shops up in Denver. I took my OW, AOW, Rescue course, and a few specialties with one shop when I started out. They are great folks and I enjoy diving with them, but they do not cater to the tech diving crowd and do not do any kind of mixed gas fills in house. I have since started taking tech classes, and have moved most of my business over to the other shop. They are also great folks and I enjoy diving with them. After I finish the trimix course (next week hopefully), I will probably continue to spend more money at the shop that can support the kind of diving I do.

OP, it kind of sounds like any of the shops in your area can meet the minimum standard for taking care of you for now. I would try to figure out which one will best support the kind of diving and training you will want several years down the road and try to build a better relationship with that shop. That having been said, I see nothing wrong with supporting multiple shops in one area. If my "usual" shop cannot get or does not have what I want/need, I will quickly head down the road for that item. If I were to be hassled about that choice by one particular shop, they might drop from my list of places I am willing to spend money.

Safe Diving!!!

Why would you treat a SCUBA shop any different then you do with any other business? Just because they sell SCUBA gear? When dealing with businesses it should be about 'what have you done for me lately?'

If today you need new fins then shop around-find the fins you like at the price you are willing to pay. I wouldn't expect them to 'cut me a deal just because I am a nice guy' and they shouldn't expect me to not compare prices.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom