Christ of the Abyss - does anyone go (snorkeling) there in the mornings?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

archman

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am wondering if anyone has any insights regarding morning vs. afternoon weather conditions at the Christ of the Abyss statue in Key Largo. This is for snorkeling, not SCUBA.

Conventional wisdom is that snorkeling conditions are usually better in the morning than in the afternoon. But except for the Pennekamp operators, I cannot seem to find any other outfitters in Key Largo that schedule morning snorkel trips to Christ of the Abyss. A travel website also noted this peculiarity and could not supply an explanation for the dearth of morning trips.

Is there some weird morning current out there that makes the place lousy for mooring or for snorkelers? Does the visibility clear out in the afternoons and so that's when operators go out there?

Any help would be much appreciated. Every time I've gone down to Largo I've scheduled a trip with Christ of the Abyss. Every time, that site has been cancelled due to weather, site overcrowding, etc... It is strangely frustrating.

Sometimes the water lays down in the afternoon while the morning is rougher. I tend to agree with the conventional wisdom that morning is normally better, but have had plenty of experience that is just the opposite in the keys.

Quiescence is a six pack operator that doesn't have a set schedule for its boats. They can take divers and snorkelers anywhere in the AM including the statue. They'll mix divers and snorkelers too which increases the chances the trip won't be cancelled due to lack of interest.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom