Christmas Gift Idea

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bwerb

Hoser/English Translator, eh
Reaction score
As we all know, Christmas has become in many, many places a frenzy of unbridled consumerism. The stress and pressure to buy and spend comes at you from all angles and the expectations from family, friends, work clients, etc. for gifts etc. can be really too much.

Without getting into the real reason for Christmas, suffice it to say that it truly IS about giving...unfortuately, for far too many, it has morphed into "receiving" and/or giving excessively because it has become the cultural norm.

Me and my immediate family live in a good community, with well paying jobs and frankly don't "need" anything. I think back to how many times we've succumbed to the societal pressure to "buy so-and-so a good gift" and have wandered around stores looking for "something". This "something" isn't usually something that they "needed" but was something we thought that they'd "want".

So we decided that we'd change our focus this year...and hopefully make a small change in our family traditions and refocus on true giving...giving to those to who are truly desperate/needy. Now there are a million ways to do this but my wife and I decided that we would do this as a two step process.

This year we did all of our shopping at ten thousand villages. We bought some nice small gifts for our family and friends and will be buying some "farm animals" as a greater direct community gift.

Step two is that once we explain what we've done and why to our families, we are hoping to convert the gift exchange entirely to community support. (We've put an exception to this in for the kids, we still think that giving gifts to the family children is alright).

We're just hoping to make one small step to reclaim the spirit of the season and to make a difference, one family at a time.

I wanted to share it here as food for thought, perhaps someone else is looking for "that perfect gift" and would like to flip the consumerism on it's head.

There are a number of storefronts around North America as well...the one close to us was run by a husband and wife with a crew of volunteers...nice to support all around.

Back
Top Bottom