Christmas Tree Cove (Palo Verdes)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bober99

Contributor
Reaction score
Does anyone know if Christmas Tree Cove: http://www.shorediving.com/Earth/USA_West/CalM/Christmas_Tree/

is still diveable? I heard there were landslides after the storms and the trail is non existant anymore.

I'm planning on doing some diving over there since all the good spots in Palos Verdes seem easily accessible from there. I also have a small dive kayak I'm planning to use.

I can sling the kayak over one shoulder (~40 #s) and carry it but wondering if the terrain is too difficult to do so?

Also, what are the entry/exit conditions like over there? Am I better off launching at Redondo beach and paddling 6-7 miles?

I dove it last november, don't know what the storms did though. Best thing to do is drive over and walk down it yourself.

I didn't think the trail was too bad with a tank and weights, but with a kayak also, well it would be fairly difficult. Entry and exit was fairly easy, its a pebble beach, with a few small rocks to climb over, I believe.

If you could do that with a kayak, then you would definitely be a PHD.

Scott

ps - you could also try entry at Malaga Cove or Flat rock (bluff cove, to the left), that would put you much closer, and is easier. Lunada bay is even closer, but I don't know if there is access to the water there.

scottfiji:
I dove it last november, don't know what the storms did though. Best thing to do is drive over and walk down it yourself.
Last time I was at Christmas Tree Cove (some time ago now, considerably pre-rains), the trail -- at least in spots -- was more something that you "climbed" rather than "walked" down. :)

I was hoping to get there Sunday morning, but my spouse was deterred by sprinkles so we thumbed it.

I was there three weeks ago and the trail was in similar condition to the way it's been for the past 15 years. The East side of the cove suffered erosion damage but the trail on the West side is doable.

When I was there last fall the trail was ok, loose soil and steep but not as bad in reality as it looks from the top. But I should point out it is for the sure footed only, and not for the timid. Betterh than Faltrock. Now about climbing Christmass Tree cove with a kayak on your shoulder. IMHO Yeah, you could do it if you have a death wish. But I would not recommend it.

bober99:
Does anyone know if Christmas Tree Cove: http://www.shorediving.com/Earth/USA_West/CalM/Christmas_Tree/

is still diveable? I heard there were landslides after the storms and the trail is non existant anymore.

I'm planning on doing some diving over there since all the good spots in Palos Verdes seem easily accessible from there. I also have a small dive kayak I'm planning to use.

I can sling the kayak over one shoulder (~40 #s) and carry it but wondering if the terrain is too difficult to do so?

Also, what are the entry/exit conditions like over there? Am I better off launching at Redondo beach and paddling 6-7 miles?
You could always launch at Marineland or Pt. Vicente Fishing Access(Cardiac Hill)and save a few miles of paddling.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom