chrome plating flaking off after 1 session in the pool?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

See what happens if you buy anything not Scubapro

I am experiencing the same problem with an Atomic M1. The regulator is little over a year old and the flaking began almost immediately, and has not stopped. I have reached out to my LDS and Atomic. I am hoping I can swap out some of the chrome plated parts for stainless steel.

The chrome on my aqua-lung/us divers conshelf regs are going strong after 40 yrs... It's not only Scuba pro that makes nice stuff.. And "WE" can get parts.... And don't need to drink the cool-aid..

Jim...

I am experiencing the same problem with an Atomic M1. The regulator is little over a year old and the flaking began almost immediately, and has not stopped. I have reached out to my LDS and Atomic. I am hoping I can swap out some of the chrome plated parts for stainless steel.

If it started immediately there is a possibility that that plating was not done right during mfg. What part of the reg is flaking (i.e. the body, the turret, both?).

See what happens if you buy anything not Scubapro
Funny. I own upwards of 20 Atomic titanium, both DIN and yoke. No chrome flaking here.

Funny. I own upwards of 20 Atomic titanium, both DIN and yoke. No chrome flaking here.

I was always told that the most important part of the plating operation is the surface preparation. If the chrome is flaking off it did adhere properly to the base metal. The most likely culprit was improper preparation or using old or contaminated chemicals.

I am not an expert in metallurgy, but would assume the surface prep for different metals is different. In other words a company would use different methods and chemicals to prepare a brass surface for plating as opposed to steel or in your case titanium. So your experience is not directly comparable to people owning the non-titanium models.

im a 3 generation chrome plater , that should not happen if you wash them , the pool environment is harsh .but not that hash ,,, chrome is hard that's why its put on over the nickel . keep sending them back .....ive had some that have lived in the pool all there lives and still look fine ......real bad off shore quality control

my first thought was actually the tank valves... but not my dog in this race

Back
Top Bottom