Class and Cert Questions (ANDI)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

schlabotnik

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I've done my class and some of the pool and have a couple of questions:

ANDI has the RBS which the instructor pushes HARD (for purchase or rent). I understand that is the ANDI preferred method, but their book says that while this is best, it's not the only way to do it. I'm not keen on another expense (whether $500/buy $100/rent) at this time and so wonder what other ANDI instructors and divers go with here.

Also, I wasn't even thinking about this, but it would seem that at the least I'll have to get some variety of wetsuit as finding a 3X is going to be an issue when I rent, I presume. Any suggestions here about a good (yes, cheap) entry level suit?

one more.....

No teaching of charts, just a hard recommendation to get a computer -- while they don't seem like blatant money grabs, they're close

RBS - thousands of new divers are trained each year without use of an RBS, and many thousands successfully and safely dive every year without an elaborate RBS (just an octo and a buddy). It comes down to choices and risk. It is easy for someone to throw lot's of scary information at me to try to convince me to 'over-insure'. Ultimately I have to evaluate the likelihood.

3x Suits - plenty of cheap ones to pick from, just don't expect it to last long.

Computer - other agencies are also making charts optional (and a hot debate topic that is). As an instructor I highly recommend them to students who plan to make diving a frequent enjoyment and to those that plan to buy their own gear. They are fairly easy to understand and distinguish from each other so you can shop around.

thanks for the input - very good answers to all

-- and thx to the mod's for fixing my title :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom