• Scubapro Glide Plus

Votes: 5 45.5%
  • Sea-Quest Pro QD

Votes: 3 27.3%
  • Other (please specify)

Votes: 1 9.1%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Charged

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Upon visiting a LDS I was told by a sales rep that Scubapro is running a special that if you purchase any Scubapro regulator and BC, then you will get a Uwatec Aladin Prime wristmount computer free, a $458 value. He included that if I did not want the Aladin, then they could apply that value to another item...such as Oceanic Pro Plus 2 and I would have to pay the difference. Also, if I purchase before 12/24/08, then I get 25% off all this stuff.

The BC is where Im kinda torn. I have selected either the Classic Plus or the Glide Plus from this store. I lean more so towards the Glide Plus. Its $120 cheaper and Im familiar with this style as its the style I trained for OW on...and it did the trick.

Ive also read a good bit about BP/W systems via this site. Kinda concerned if I should scratch this whole package deal and get that style BC instead.

A little about myself and diving intentions:
Im a 6'2" 28 year old male weighing 200pds with no body fat. I intend to dive inland fresh waters of my residential state of KY. Saltwaters of the US coastal region and Carribean...but not limited to these places. I currently hold an OW SSI certification, but plan to increase that knowledge to Nitrox, wreck, etc.

Another store offered a Sea-Quest ProQD to me for $500...but if I do that, I dont get the package deal from the other store. However, I dont want a package of junk, so if the Sea-Quest is the way to go, then fine.

The equipment I have choosen to purchase this Christmas week is:
First-Stage: Scubapro MK17
Second-Stage: Scubapro G250V
Octopus: Scubapro R295
Tank:: Worthington HP100 steel

Thank you so much!

If you are going with a Scubapro BCD I'd recommend the Knighthawk instead, which is a back inflate. I voted "Other", for a BP/W which is what I use, but your LDS may not have a vested interest in selling you something like that.

While we're at it, the wrist model of the Aladin Tec 2G is far more flexible towards any future diving you might do (it has a great gauge mode with average depth) and doesn't cost much more vs. the Aladin Prime you are already looking at.

"...Knighthawk instead"
My concern with this particular BC was that I read so much on this site about BI's tending to roll you forward and also to leave a person facedown in the event of an emergency. The other concern was that the pockets are a bit limiting. Are these actually non-issue's with viable ways around? For example, I read that a person can glue pockets on their wetsuit. Also, I read that the tendency to roll one forward is due to inexperience (overinflation) with the BC. The benifit is easier trim and less cluttered chest area...right? Im still open to the Knighthawk, but had ruled it out due to the listed reasons.

"...BP/W..."
The package deal limits me to the purchase of Scubapro brand BC's and I dont see a BP/W manufactured by them. Ive never dove with a BP/W and I dont know much about them. Is this something I need to have in order to do wreck's and perhaps caves in the future? Thus, maybe scratching the package deal and getting a BP/W instead of the Scubapro BC? Right now I was just looking to get my first single tank BC. But, I dont want any regrets.

"...the Aladin Prime you are already looking at..."
Im not really looking into keeping the Aladin Prime. My LDS was going to give it to me free (Im sure theres a reason) if I purchased a Scubapro brand regulator and BC simulatneously. My intention was to use it as a $500 coupon/collateral to put forth on something else. As you said, the Aladin Prime does seem a bit limited. Im sure its fine for its intentions, but I think Id prefer more options in my future of diving. I was looking into something more like the Suunto Cobra2 or the Oceanic Pro Plus 2...although I havent gave it to much thought as Ive been swamped with the reg and BC purchase.

Thanks again! As you can see...I need the help! LOL :D

I have the Classic and the QD. My first BC was the classic. In my experience, it's very stable in the water and definately keeps you vertical at the surface, which was important to me when I first started. As my diving progressed, I wanted something a little less constricting and went with the QD.

I like the Pro QD (i3 in my case) a lot. It never felt restrictive on me (as wing followers argue about jackets), the pockets are large and easily accesible. The valves are very good and get only small amounts of water inside. It was built with attention to details and has a lot of goodies (many d-rings, inside-pocket clips for keys, rotating shoulder buckles, comfortable padding). The general feeling is of good quality.

I have used all three. The classic is a very stable jacket, but can feel restrictive. The Seaquest is also a good jacket, but to me the pocket area feels to high so is also somewhat restrictive, and doesn't pack down that great for traveling. I settled into the Glide Plus and am very happy with it. I dive local lakes and the occasional warm water trip. It works well for both. If you want the most freedom and take advantage of the Scubapro special the Knighthawk is a good choice. It doesn't have much for pockets to store goodies in, and as you said it is a back inflate so you have to decide what is important to you. Although in years of using a back inflate I never experienced any problems with it tipping me face first in the water. Just don't overinflate it on the surface. Good luck with your decision.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom