Clean UP!!!???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Any teams ever sponsor, or get involved with, a waterway clean up. I have started the "stones" <---square ones, rolling in an effort to set up a waterway clean up in my area. If anyone has ever been involved with the organization of such an event, I would appreciate some advise. It all sounds good on paper, but usually does not work as well in real life.

I have contacted "Project Aware" and "Ocean Conservancy" for assistance. I'm waiting on a call from the Florida State Coodinator for Ocean Conservancy. Project Aware sent me a CD with material to help. I need to know if there are special permits needed to dive certian waterways. I want to get our team involved with the event. :D

Our team was contacted last year to do a "stand-by" for a cleanup at the inlet located north of yours. The recreational divers that volunteered had huge hearts but some did not have the skills needed to dive safely, especially in the inlet. Because of safety concerns our dive team leader had to persuade the event coordinator to shut the operation down. I believe there were some hard feelings from the divers who felt they could dive safely, the event coordinator and the team.

If you choose to move forward on your idea, I would STRONGLY suggest that you have the divers sign liability release forms that release the department and ALL team members (individually) should one of the "recreational" divers have an accident while conducting the underwater cleanup. I suspect an attorney could charge that your department was asking these recreational divers to volunteer to commercial work and that was the reason for their injury/fatality.

It bites that we have to place ourselves in that kind of mindset but the alternative can be costly.

Personally, I pick up trash when I dive. Members of our team do the same thing. I would prefer being a "participant" but I have concerns about our department being the "event coordinator." If you do decide to move the idea forward, consider the summer time when the conditions are ideal/safe. Also, call me if you need a hand!

Blades

I agree these could be a major problem. But there may be a way to get away from the litigation world in a situation like this. I think all the divers would have to be PSD&#8217;s or prospective PSD being tested.

Run a full blown search operation for evidence. Use a scenario like a plane crash with debris scattered over a large area. Be systematic, mark and log each piece of trash as evidence and recover it at the same time.

It doesn&#8217;t have to be logged like the real thing but just a &#8220;C&#8221; on a slate for a can, &#8220;P&#8221; for paper or &#8220;UC&#8221; for used condom (couldn&#8217;t resist that one).

We&#8217;ve never tried it but it just might work. It keeps it in a training mode and away from commercial side. Same job just with different terminology and an extra step.

Gary D.

Our Local dive shop does a river clean up every year, Every one signs a waiver, but in court Im not sure how well that would hold up. anyways the clean up usually consists of Bingham and Bonneville counties PSD's and a few local rec divers that dive enough that theres not alot of concern. We get local business to donate for the cause, and have a BBQ afterwards. Its not a big thing but hell, its also probly the only 1/2mile of clean river we have. lol
Clay

Thanks for the input.

BladesRobinson :
If you choose to move forward on your idea, I would STRONGLY suggest that you have the divers sign liability release forms that release the department and ALL team members (individually) should one of the "recreational" divers have an accident while conducting the underwater cleanup. I suspect an attorney could charge that your department was asking these recreational divers to volunteer to commercial work and that was the reason for their injury/fatality.

We do not want to sponsor the event. We want to be part of the event. I have contacted Project Aware and Oceans Conservancy. I think Ocean Conservancy is going to take over the event. We are just going to be an additional name.

My idea is to make this a large local event. Trying to draw locals to either dive or watch what the divers bring out of the water. I'm hoping they will see all the trash, and maybe choose not to throw their next beer can in the water.......hoping....! I know I'm asking a lot from everyone, but it is a start. I want to have food, games, and education from Ocean Conservancy there. I think it might be a goog thing.

What do you think?

We do a cleanup every September in Lake Berryessa California in an area called Party Cove. There is a large turnout with over 40 divers and an equal amount of non divers, people in kayaks to help hall the trash back to shore. We have people sign a liability, it costs $15 and you get a t-shirt BBQ lunch, and a ticket to win one of several raffle prizes. We tell divers not to go below 20 feet, hazards, and what to do if they find a weapon. So far the only crime found is a telephone booth. Great fun to be had by all. If State Parks or Regional parks is the jurisdiction, they would probably be happy to help you and sponsor. Since our lake is also a water source the water resource board is also happy to help sponsor.

A few years ago in Richmond VA the various PSD teams did a river cleanup on the James River. Involved were the Henrico Co Fire Dept, Richmond Fire Department, VA Dept. Of Game & Inland Fisheries Underwater Criminal Investigations Unit, and the VA State Police UCI team. The Ciity of Richmond Parks and Recs hauled off the trash that was gathered. Some of the trash was recycled. Got some media coverage and it was a good project.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom