Cleaning hose ends--AWAP or Couv?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jchance

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
I have several Scubapro MK25/S600 combos. They all function extremely well and are spotless except for 1 thing. The nose connections seem to not soak well and most have a small amount of corrosion on the threads and on the flat face inside the hose end. If it were any other part of the rigs then I'd just take it apart and soak. Since it is the actual fitting on the hose ends, then I can't simply drop the hose into the ultrasonic to clean. How should I get the corrosion off here????

Thanks!

What is preventing you from hanging the hose end in a smaller Ultrasonic? My concern would be stripping the nickel off the brass, but if you are careful about how the rig it up you should be able to get the ends into a small US tank.

As an aside my standard for such parts is not "Spotless" but function. Nobody has *ever* refused to dive with me if my er, ah, "hose end" wasn't "spotless" :)

Good luck,

Tobin

Yea, just drop the ends into the US.

Or soak in some cleaner and brush manually.

US cleaner should work well. I would go light so as not to remove chrome even if it leaves a little verdegris. Lube it well to protect the threads.

Gonna have to replace the hose eventually. Might as well FULL POWER! :wink:

slight off topics, but what would be a good ultra sonic cleaner for home use/DIY maintenance?

what would be a good ultra sonic cleaner for home use/DIY maintenance?
The standard advice is to get the Harbor Freight model (2.5L) on sale for around $65. That model is better bought from Amazon for a little more to get it with a metal basket, not supplied with the HF model.

Next step up is the $150 6L models on eBay with a drain in the tank to empty the cleaning solution easily. I was about to go that way when I found a used Crest 4L model on eBay. Generally I would recommend getting something with a big enough tank for your anticipated needs, and a tank heater. Analog controls might be more reliable than digital in this application, don't know.

The standard advice is to get the Harbor Freight model (2.5L) on sale for around $65. That model is better bought from Amazon for a little more to get it with a metal basket, not supplied with the HF model.

Next step up is the $150 6L models on eBay with a drain in the tank to empty the cleaning solution easily. I was about to go that way when I found a used Crest 4L model on eBay. Generally I would recommend getting something with a big enough tank for your anticipated needs, and a tank heater. Analog controls might be more reliable than digital in this application, don't know.

I've owned a few Ultrasonic Cleaners that eventually died. Both wind up timers and digital. One was the generator, 2 were the transducer, none involved the controls. Small sample size I'd admit, but it looks to me that choice of controls is down the list in terms of reliability.

I'd 2nd the recommendations for 1) A basket, 2) Heat. If you don't get a heated unit just microwave a beaker of the solution prior to use.

Tobin

My daughter gave me an old cheap one from her lab, best for cleaning jewelery. A reg fits but best done in pieces. No heat. No timer. No basket. But it works fine on the rare occasion I have to use it.

I have been using sonic care with old brush head with success so far. When things get real bad, like the brass piece inside inflator, I have used CLR, which is great at dissolving the green stuff. However, I also learned it wash away chrome plating as well. Now I use vinegar only, but takes much longer. I wonder what you guys use

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom