Cleaning paint off a Al tank

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

n2addict

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi,

Could someone tell me how to clean off the remaining bits of paint off an Aluminum tank? (Other than scraping it off by hand)

Thanks

Do you have access to Klean-Strip Low Odor Aircraft Remover paint remover or similar products?

Klean-Strip

I've used it to strip several aluminum and steel scuba tanks and it works very well, especially if the tank is pre-warmed.

I pre-warm the tank in a warm water bath to 30 to 35 degrees C. and then dry it. Then I apply the stripper with a paint brush, followed by wrapping the tank with plastic kitchen wrap to prevent drying out and excessive vaporization of the stripper. (Good ventilation is recommended also.)

Within ten minutes most of the paint can be wire-brushed or scraped off.

Repeat the process one more time to get the last specks of paint off.

Wash the tank with soap and water, then rinse and dry.

A quart will strip about four scuba tanks.

I have researched this particular application of this product and have been reassured that it is safe, effective and non-damaging to use on both aluminum and steel scuba tanks.

HTH.

Dave C

Last edited:
I have also used the Klean-Strip Aircraft paint remover and it worked well. I did mine outside when it was approx 40 degrees so it was slow-acting. I brushed it on & let it sit for about 15-20 minutes, then used a plastic scraper to remove the "crud". This didn't get everything so I repeated the process, followed by a wash with the garden hose. Anything remaining at this point can easily be removed with a Scotch-Brite Pad.
One last note: If you do this with the tank valve removed,(as I did) make sure you rinse out the tank w/ clean water. Then dump in some Simple Green & slosh it around folllowed by a thurough(sp?) rinse with clean water. Dry it out & you're ready for the visual inspection.

The plastic scraper parts works real well. After a few minutes the scrapper assumes the contour of the cylinder and does a nice job.

Ok..sounds good, but do you need to reseal the outer tank?

Nope. If the tanks are aluminum or galvanized steel, additional corrosion protection is not needed, if that's what you mean.

Dave C

Why bother? Ugly tanks hold air just fine.

Agreed, battle scars add character as long as they're not affecting structural integrity.

Agreed, battle scars add character as long as they're not affecting structural integrity.

Perhaps a tank inspector can weigh in on this.

What I saw on my aluminum tanks was that there was increased corrosion under cracked paint.

It appears that cracked paint can trap saltwater, leading to increasing concentrations of salt, even after freshwater rinsing. Flowerettes of corrosion would even blister the paint and begin to pit the aluminum. I was concerned about the tanks failing a visual inspection.

The galvanized steel tanks didn't seem to be affected as much, so maybe there's less structural concern with them.

I guess I just like removing flawed cosmetic features that have become non-functional, like cracked and chipped scuba tank paint. :)

At least I'm not claiming lower drag with stripped tanks.... :rofl3:

Dave C

I guess I just like removing flawed cosmetic features that have become non-functional, like cracked and chipped scuba tank paint. :)
Done properly, chemically stripping the paint isn't going to damage your cylinder. For what it's worth, painting a tank is a big issue when it comes time for a visual inspection - new paint can hide a lot of different kinds of damage. Removing the paint doesn't raise as many concerns but should still be considered to be an indicator of possible heat damage, either prior to or during the removal process. Any tank with new paint or old paint removed should be referred during the next visual for hydro-testing.

Back
Top Bottom