Cleaning painted steel tanks on outside?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AbyssalPlains

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi all,

Just bought a used doubles setup of XS Scuba Faber LP95s. They are in excellent shape but the bands left some brown stains on the paint surface.

How can I clean this up without damaging the paint? Or should I even bother?

In a few places, the paint has chipped off exposing a very small area of the metal. How can I fix those or should I not worry about it?

Should I put rubber between the bands and the tanks or does it not matter since the're painted?

The rust is easy to remove with a little cleanser and a stiff scrubing sponge like a "ScotchBrite" pad. Do not use a steel wool pad as it can leave trace steel particles behind which will rust.

I would not put rubber between the bands and cylinder. Just rinse them well after salt water diving.

As for painting sounds like you found the advice to use appliance white epoxy paint.

If you are putting the bands back on I would ignore the paint stains. The bands cover the wost of it and they will just come back anyway.

If painting, I have used RustOleum and had great results....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom