Cleaning solution for caked on sorb?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

robinfante

Registered
Reaction score
The inhalation flapper valve on my kiss has a bit of old blue sodasorb stuck on it, and is getting finicky about sealing. Its not worn so doesn't need replacement, but should be soaked to get the old crap off. Ditto the dsv, I need to tear it down because it is getting gunked up inside.

Can anyone suggest an appropriate cleaning solution to soak it in? I have heard to use vinegar, any experience with that? I'd hate to have a dsv that tasted like salad.

regards
rob infante

Since the sorb is lime based I would say vinegar should work just fine. I would dilute it 4pt water to 1pt vinegar though. A little goes a long way

wedivebc is absolutely right, but I will add one little detail.

Best results achieved with distilled white vinegar.

robinfante:
The inhalation flapper valve on my kiss has a bit of old blue sodasorb stuck on it, and is getting finicky about sealing. Its not worn so doesn't need replacement, but should be soaked to get the old crap off. Ditto the dsv, I need to tear it down because it is getting gunked up inside.

Can anyone suggest an appropriate cleaning solution to soak it in? I have heard to use vinegar, any experience with that? I'd hate to have a dsv that tasted like salad.

regards
rob infante

Hi Rob, not to be an alarmist but wouldn't it be better to just get rid of the flapper/mushroom valve? If I have anyproblems with deformation or any question about mine, I dump them. My Prism ones cost about $2. Glad to know vinegar works though. Time to douse the scrubber bucket/salad bowl-Andy

Hi Silent Running. The Prism isn't the sport kiss, as there is a direct line from the scrubber to the dsv (and yes, this does give me a major case of the heebie jeebies.) As a result you get a lot more junk stuck on the intake valves. So, I would be flying through mushroom valves at $10 each, when all they need is a quick rinse in the aforementioned vinegar solution to be as good as new.

13 months and still waiting for my prism, from what they say I'll see it in the next few weeks. Ron has mentioned you to me before, hope we get to dive together some time.

robinfante:
Hi Silent Running. The Prism isn't the sport kiss, as there is a direct line from the scrubber to the dsv (and yes, this does give me a major case of the heebie jeebies.) As a result you get a lot more junk stuck on the intake valves. So, I would be flying through mushroom valves at $10 each, when all they need is a quick rinse in the aforementioned vinegar solution to be as good as new.

13 months and still waiting for my prism, from what they say I'll see it in the next few weeks. Ron has mentioned you to me before, hope we get to dive together some time.

Hi Rob, I didn't know that the mushroom valves were so expensive on the SK. I had to think about what you said about the scrubber for a minute. So the Sport Kiss pendulum scrubber has no water trap and opens directly to the inhale hose? I've seen them up close plent of times, but it never occured to me that this would mean a lot of scrubber shake would come down the hose. Waiting for the Prism is a drag. I needed every minute of my 12 month lead time to come up with the balance! Hope we meet sometime soon.-Andy

silent running:
So the Sport Kiss pendulum scrubber has no water trap and opens directly to the inhale hose? I've seen them up close plent of times, but it never occured to me that this would mean a lot of scrubber shake would come down the hose.
I wish that had been as obvious to me before the dive. Good call. I have to be more careful to avoid the powder:D

Yep, its pretty much the case that a lot of powdery solution goes down the line. Fortunately it has little impact, ie even though after 40 hours it was caked into the dsv, it was not by any means caustic. Don't know why not, all I know is that there is never any burning or metallic taste.

There is mod coming from jetsam next year, a small ots counterlung that works in conjunction with the back ones, and serves as a water trap. Not sure if I'd go for it, so much of the appeal of the kiss is not having anything up front.

Next question: anyone know how vinegar reacts with betadine? I'm inclined to add some to my disinfectant bucket every now and again, to keep things clean and happy.

eh, talked to a buddy of mine who is a chemical engineer, he said don't. something about the vinegar precipitating the iodine, I forget the specifics but not they wouldn't play nicely together. oh well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom