Cleaning solution?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What is the chemistry behind brass(Cu + Zn) with acids(mineral or carboxylic acid)?

I use vinegar myself because it is readily available. But I won't use it on plastic, the smell seems to last for ever.

Last edited:
If you want a phosphoric acid + glycol + surfactant cleaner without odor and that is MUCH better than vinegar, contact Rudy Mola at Diving Technologies (divetec@aol.com). His Tumble Juice Regulator cleaner has been marketed for almost 20 years and is absolutely amazing, especially when warm in an ultrasonic bath. A $40 gallon can be diluted 8:1 and is a proven decades-old solution that is much cheaper than Lawrence Factor Wash (and almost identical if you look at the MSDS), and more effective than vinegar.
You won't believe how quickly and gently it removes verdigris, and cleans up plastic and silicone parts with just a dip. No more 15 minutes in the ultrasonic. Five minutes is as long as I've had to use it, and it's very easy on chrome. Unless there's a manufacturer-specific requirement for cleaning for oxygen service, it's also perfect for cleaning regs for deco. Because buddhasummer seemed to be out of the country, that's why I proposed Home Depot phosphoric acid tile cleaner for a do-it-yourself improvement over vinegar. But Tumble Juice is what I really had in mind, and Rudy can get it to you quickly by mail. I use it 90% of the time, and LFW (or Poseidon's FineCleanUltra) only when required by a specific manufacturer.

Back
Top Bottom