Cleaning Whips

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Good question. I built my own whips for my booster and transfill cables that I meticulously O2 cleaned all the fittings (minus hoses) when I built them.

Having said that, I had no plans to O2 clean them again but perhaps I'll throw some of the fitting in the ultrasonic cleaner again when I replace my needle valve and SPG in a few weeks. So I guess I have nothing really to add beyond that I did initially O2 clean them.

I would be interested to see if others annually O2 clean their whips or just consider them what I like to call "O2 clean enough."

I would be interested to know how many check the o2 clean status (ie w a UV light) just to get an idea how how long equipment stays 'clean'.

I never cleaned mine. Until I looked in the filters inside my booster.

I would buy my whips and clean them with blue-gold before installation. Then never think about them for 10 years, then just replace them. Then I was rebuilding the booster and took the filter apart. The only thing ever that passed through that booster was ABO and UHP helium. The filter looked like I was hiding a cat in it. All fuzzy and furry, really looked like a cat had been stored in there.

All whips get cleaned annually now.

crap sorry, you mean fill whips, not brush whips. My bad, didn't see the subforum.

Fittings get cleaned when they're dirty, which is not often. As long as they are only exposed to O2 clean connections and stored properly they shouldn't need it that often. Maybe do it every 5 years when you O2 clean the valves after hydro, but the way I see it is you should O2 clean the whips as often as you O2 clean the valves that they are going on. Personally, that is at hydro when they get rebuilt

Any tips for cleaning the inside of the whip hoses?

buy a new O2 clean whip hose every 5 years since you are supposed to replace them regularly? they aren't expensive since you can use just about anything since it is 1/4" npt fittings. Do you O2 clean any of your other hoses when you clean your regulators?

Then I was rebuilding the booster and took the filter apart. The only thing ever that passed through that booster was ABO and UHP helium. The filter looked like I was hiding a cat in it. All fuzzy and furry, really looked like a cat had been stored in there.
Drive gas or supply gas filter?
I'm guessing that filter had mold growing on it. Condensation from the drive gas and mold spores everywhere = peach fuzz city.

Any tips for cleaning the inside of the whip hoses?
Circulate your cleaning solution with a small pump (fish aquarium). I can't recall the recommended flow rate - 1 lpm?. Recommended time is 15 minutes. Rinse the same way.

Back
Top Bottom