Closeup Lens on SeaLife

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Green Frog

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
OK, a little background; about three decades ago when I first got my Nikonos V, I picked up a little closeup (not macro) lens that I could add or remove in the water. I only used it a little, but looking back, it was a pretty handy thing. My little spotted moray was a champ!

Roll ahead to the present, and I recently did my first trip with a SeaLife Micro 3.0. It works like a champ bare, without a video light or anything, but as I see pictures people are getting with various setups, I’m starting to “Jones” to add a closeup lens and small light so I can get “up close and personal”. I’ll throw out the question here; has anyone here used the SeaLife Closeup Lens and if so, how did it work out for you? In low vis, a closeup image can still be striking!

Thanks in advance for any info, experiences , or other help!
🐸

OK, a little background; about three decades ago when I first got my Nikonos V, I picked up a little closeup (not macro) lens that I could add or remove in the water. I only used it a little, but looking back, it was a pretty handy thing. My little spotted moray was a champ!

Roll ahead to the present, and I recently did my first trip with a SeaLife Micro 3.0. It works like a champ bare, without a video light or anything, but as I see pictures people are getting with various setups, I’m starting to “Jones” to add a closeup lens and small light so I can get “up close and personal”. I’ll throw out the question here; has anyone here used the SeaLife Closeup Lens and if so, how did it work out for you? In low vis, a closeup image can still be striking!

Thanks in advance for any info, experiences , or other help!
🐸
I have the exact same question. Any replies yet?

Not yet... two LDS have praised them, one very highly, but they sell stuff so...
🐸

my daughter and i have the dc1400s, with fisheye lens, movie light and strobes. my wife started with the sealife micro 2.0 ( prior was a nikonos 4a and i shot 35mm housed) last year we had some software issues with the 2.0 and she bought the 3.0 micro. she uses twin sea dragon lights. downloaded the software upgrade for the 2.0 and its back in the game. i bought the macro lens attachment and it works well. i also added the red filter for the sea dragon. works well for bashful critters. here is a pic of the set. up

Attachments

• IMG_1842.jpeg
    IMG_1842.jpeg
    102.5 KB · Views: 27
My update: First, I found a deal on an “open box” new closeup lens, so I bought it. I was hoping to use it on my Winter trip to FL a couple of weeks ago, but complications arose 🙄 and it never got wet. I did put it onto the camera dry and it went on easily. I think it will work fine when I have the opportunity to use it. 🧐

@glennster, I went through a long phase of Nikonos usage as well, starting with a Nik V, then working backwards. I had a I, a couple of IIs, and a couple of IIIs over the years and really liked the II (with updated strobe connection) best of all… I used a little strobe called a “Sea&Sea YS-20” and a customized tray and arm as my minimalist rig and got a bunch of good pix over 20+ years. The confluence of the passing of Bob Warkenton, difficulty finding film, and high costs of development drove me to go digital. I’ve stated my reasons for choosing the SeaLife system earlier and I’m glad I went that way! My only complaint about the Micro 3.0 is the lack of strobe sync capability. 🫤

I’ll be interested in sharing experiences with the SeaLife Community as more of us start using them. 📷 📷 📷 📷 I think we have a learning curve ahead, but I see a lot of potential already. 🤩

🐸

Attachments

• MICR0330.jpeg
    MICR0330.jpeg
    69.3 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_2336.jpeg
    IMG_2336.jpeg
    145.7 KB · Views: 21
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom