CO2/O2 tolerance tables tool

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JennyWren

Registered
Reaction score
I've coded up an online application for practicing your CO2 and O2 tolerance tables. There is a set of standard tables, plus you can build your own.

If you have speakers or headphones, you will get audio telling you when to start and end each hold, also giving a countdown on your ventilations.

Currently the application does NOT work in all browsers & operating systems, but should work in the more common ones. I've found on my MacBook that I get the sound in Safari but not Firefox, for example.

Let me know what you think, if you find bugs, or if you have suggestions for improvements. I'm fairly new at this sort of coding so it was more of a learning experience than anything else.

BTW you will need a JavaScript-enabled browser.

freediving : CO2/O2 tolerance tables

Thanks for posting this. I'll be back if I come up with any suggestions. :wink:

Very cool tool. Any recommendations on where to start, in terms of how often and which exercises to work on?

Am I correct in the assumption that the O2 exercises work on reducing your o2 consumption rate, and the CO2 exercises work on increasing the threshold on the urge to breathe?

One very minor bug: in runtable.php, the values for "Total Ventilation" and "Total Static" are switched with each other.

-Brad

Thanks so much for the feedback, I have fixed the bug =0)

Caveat: The following information is what I learned through my own reading, my own experiences, and through the PFI course I took last fall (I *highly* recommend this course, Kirk and Mandy-Rae are amazing instructors and the course is very rewarding). I am NOT an expert, and I suggest you take a course and do your own research before getting into freediving. Also, always practice "safe" freediving (don't do these tables in water without a buddy who has training in the correct safety procedures).

The goal of the exercises is to build up "tolerances". CO2 tables build up your tolerance to high levels of CO2, while O2 tables build up your tolerance to low levels of O2. Both are important. Rising levels of CO2 while doing a breath hold are what give you that "urge" to breathe. Your oxygen will be depleting, but it's actually the increased percentage of CO2 that triggers you to feel like you need to come up for air. This is why you should not "hyperventilate" before doing a dive. Hyperventilating purges the CO2 from your system, so that you don't feel like you need to breathe as early. However, you are still running out of O2, and without that high CO2 trigger you might not be able to tell when you need to surface and breathe - this can cause you to blackout.

CO2 tables can help your body to become more able to fight that urge to breathe. If you've ever tried holding your breath (and you haven't trained), you'll probably find that after even a short time, such as one minute, you really feel like you need to breathe. One minute is not a long time to go without fresh O2 - you aren't running out of air yet - but it certainly can FEEL like you are! By training with CO2 tables you can learn to subdue that urge for longer so that you can hold your breath more comfortably. CO2 tables are a set of breath holds which are all the same length, with decreasing ventilation times in between. As the ventilation time gets shorter, you have less time to "get rid" of CO2, so you go into the next hold with a higher percentage of CO2.

O2 tables help your body to learn to operate with lower levels of O2. They are also great for simulating the weird (and often annoying!) thoughts that may go through your head while doing a longer hold. O2 tables are a set of breath holds which increase in length, with ventilations in between that are of a constant length. As you do each successive hold, you have to go longer with the same amount of O2, so you are learning to work with a greater decrease in O2.

If you haven't tried tables before, I'd suggest starting at the easiest, then progress up. The table which is "right" should be HARD to complete (but not impossible). When it stops being difficult, it's time to move up to the next one. Note that you might be at a different level for the two kinds of tables (for example, you might find a CO2 #4 to be the same difficulty as an O2 #2, or vice versa, everyone is different this way). You should use the table from each set that is hardest but not impossible. You might progress quicker on one set that then other.

The preset tables are fairly standard, as far as I know. Those particular sets were the ones recommended during the PFI course.

I added in the custom tables for fun, and as a bit of practice at coding. They might be helpful if you want to try something different, or if you find yourself right in between two of the tables in one set. Like most kinds of exercise, changing things up once in a while can be beneficial.

I'd recommend doing the tables at least a couple of times a week - but not every day. They are (should be, at least) a workout, and as such you probably should not do them on a day when you are doing other heavy exercise. They also take a bit of time to complete.

My personal thoughts - I usually start with a CO2, then do the O2, and then try a long hold afterwards to see how long I can go, if I feel like it. I'm usually reeeeally relaxed by this time, and my heart rate will have significantly dropped. I find that lying down, listening to some music, and doing the tables works well for me. Also if I do them in the evenings they help me relax before going to bed (I suffer from insomnia sometimes). One warning though - if you do them IN bed, you might start to doze off - I woke up once and I was still holding my breath (hadn't passed out, it had only been about a minute, I was just really sleepy). If you are planning on using these to train for a situation where you need to fight nerves and weird thoughts, you should probably try to concentrate more on what you are feeling and how you can combat the psychological stuff that goes along with longer holds. The tables are good practice for that too!

O2 tables help your body to learn to operate with lower levels of O2. They are also great for simulating the weird (and often annoying!) thoughts that may go through your head while doing a longer hold. O2 tables are a set of breath holds which increase in length, with ventilations in between that are of a constant length. As you do each successive hold, you have to go longer with the same amount of O2, so you are learning to work with a greater decrease in O2.
You are quite right that one can "learn" to put up with higher than normal C02 levels, but I was unaware of any data supporting the view that through any form of practice you could learn to deal with lower level of oxygen. My understanding is that oxygen drops and you black out. Can you direct me to data that contadradicts this? Thanks.

I've been looking for some water-related training to accompany my newfound daily routine of pushups, situps, and running... I think this will be it. Thanks for the advice. Again, very cool tool.

-Brad

I've coded up an online application for practicing your CO2 and O2 tolerance tables. There is a set of standard tables, plus you can build your own.

If you have speakers or headphones, you will get audio telling you when to start and end each hold, also giving a countdown on your ventilations.

Currently the application does NOT work in all browsers & operating systems, but should work in the more common ones. I've found on my MacBook that I get the sound in Safari but not Firefox, for example.

Let me know what you think, if you find bugs, or if you have suggestions for improvements. I'm fairly new at this sort of coding so it was more of a learning experience than anything else.

BTW you will need a JavaScript-enabled browser.

freediving : CO2/O2 tolerance tables

Hello JennyWren,

Thank you for posting this great info and for building the workout tool. I have a couple of questions about the non-breath hold times.

First, the period just prior to the initial breath hold. Is this a "breathe up" period? I.e. slow, deep breaths? Because slow is a relative term, approx how long should one cycle of exhale/inhale take? Same question for the periods between breath holds? Does one breath normally e.g. as I am now doing whilst I two-finger type or should this be a deep breathing period or perhaps a combination of the two?

Thank you,

Couv

You are quite right that one can "learn" to put up with higher than normal C02 levels, but I was unaware of any data supporting the view that through any form of practice you could learn to deal with lower level of oxygen. My understanding is that oxygen drops and you black out. Can you direct me to data that contadradicts this? Thanks.

I'll not direct you to the data.. but a simple example of functioning under low levels of oxygen is high altitude training or using a hypoxic tent to train.. athletes do this all the time and you can train yourself to function quite good with lower levels of oxygen. A definite advantage when they come back to sea level for competitions. If you have access to an oximeter you can measure your oxygen levels and can actually drop them quite dramatically without passing out. You can really freak out a nurse when you go for a checkout sometime.

Try this; exhale all your oxygen.. then do what they call a reverse pack. (kinda like vacuuming out the rest of the air), hold. You will experience a very rapid drop in O2 levels. Don't do this standing up.

Here is the data as I understand it:

Intermittent hypoxic exposure (IHE) is based on the assumption that brief exposures to hypoxia (1.5-2.0 hrs) are sufficient to stimulate the release of sEPO, and ultimately bring about an increase in red blood cell (RBC) concentration. Athletes typically use intermittent hypoxic exposure while at rest (passive IHE), or in conjunction with a training session (intermittent hypoxic training [IHT]) . In effect, this allows the athlete to “live low-train high” (LLTH). At present, it is unclear whether IHE or IHT lead to improvements in RBC, hematocrit and hemoglobin. In addition, there are minimal data to support the claim that IHE or IHT enhance VO2max and endurance performance. Preliminary data, however, suggest that anaerobic power and anaerobic capacity may be improved as a result of IHT. -

Current Practices and Future Trends in Altitude Training
Randall L. Wilber, PhD, FACSM,
United States Olympic Committee,
Colorado Springs, CO, USA

Back
Top Bottom