Cobalt 1 doing "weird" stuff

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes, Atomic is now doing all recall inspections themselves in house, as there have been a few instances of Cobalts being missed.

Thanks for the compliments on the UI- our goal in developing the Cobalt, starting many years back now, was to make a computer that was designed from the user’s perspective. It’s hard to make something easy to use, particularly when it has as many features as the Cobalt. And most UI’s are designed to make things easy for the engineers, not the end users. But we are both dedicated UI geeks, and Atomic saw the benefits of the design for their first computer. Of course, all that effort is moot if it leaks or components fail. Atomic, to their credit, has moved rapidly to fix issues with the case and has provided great customer service. Whenever one goes back for service, as your wife’s needs to, it will be upgraded with all the improvements.

I have heard of the SAUL algorithm, but I can’t say I am familiar with it. I am sympathetic to the idea of expressing results in terms of probability and risk, as I think much misunderstanding of what dive computers say is due to treating an analog problem like decompression as if it has a simple binary solution (deco/ no-deco). The Cobalt was always designed to be able to handle multiple algorithms, and that is one thing we are looking at for the future.

Looks as if you are local to us- let me know if I can help in any way. I’ll PM you with contact info.

-Ron

Can't wait to see a multiple algorithm computer from you.

Yes, just out in Duvall. I service the manufacturing industry, so let me know if there's anything I can do for you.

It must be the water in Grand Cayman. My Cobalt 1 "died" immediately after a dive. It would not wake up if you pushed any of the buttons.
Took it upstairs and attached it to the wall charger and it would start up but went immediately to reset date/time. It stated "Charging Stopped" and would not charge no matter how long you left it charging. If you disconnected wall charger, computer would immediately turn off.
As this is an extended trip, I took it to Diver Supply (Authorized Dealer) here on Cayman and they QUICKLY replaced battery ($75 CI/$93 US) (supposed to get years of use and 400-500 charging cycles, I got two years/200 dives) and magnets ($19 CI/$25 US) (rusted and failing to operate unit) plus $10 CI service fee. I love Diver Supply and I think their staff is top notch so I don't have a problem with their service or service fee (they did the work so they should get paid) but paying about $120 US for what I consider manufacturing defects is a little hard to swallow IMHO. As it is usually the case, I am a couple months "out of warranty". I don't expect lifetime warranties on this type of equipment but $1200 dive computers should last more than two years and 200 recreational profile dives. Just saying.

Last edited:
Did you, by any chance, get the old battery back? The symptoms you describe sound more like a broken wire connector than the battery going bad internally. Typically when Li-Ion batteries fail, they do so gradually, just not holding as much charge. You’re describing exactly what the Cobalt would do if there were suddenly no battery connection at all.

Kudos to Diver’s Supply for being able to diagnose and quickly fix the issue. I suspect if you had been in the states and dealt with Atomic directly this would have been treated as warranty, even if you were a couple of months over. Certainly Atomic treats rusting buttons and other clear assembly defects as a no-charge repair. Pricing in Cayman will be at a premium, and Diver’s Supply has costs associated with keeping these parts on hand and having staff who know what to do. That doesn’t negate the legitimate point that neither the battery or the buttons should have failed in a slightly over two year old computer. But I think the cost of the fix is mostly due to the location.

-Ron

It must be the water in Grand Cayman. My Cobalt 1 "died" immediately after a dive. It would not wake up if you pushed any of the buttons.
Took it upstairs and attached it to the wall charger and it would start up but went immediately to reset date/time. It stated "Charging Stopped" and would not charge no matter how long you left it charging. If you disconnected wall charger, computer would immediately turn off.
As this is an extended trip, I took it to Diver Supply (Authorized Dealer) here on Cayman and they QUICKLY replaced battery ($75 CI/$93 US) (supposed to get years of use and 400-500 charging cycles, I got two years/200 dives) and magnets ($19 CI/$25 US) (rusted and failing to operate unit) plus $10 CI service fee. I love Diver Supply and I think their staff is top notch so I don't have a problem with their service or service fee (they did the work so they should get paid) but paying about $120 US for what I consider manufacturing defects is a little hard to swallow IMHO. As it is usually the case, I am a couple months "out of warranty". I don't expect lifetime warranties on this type of equipment but $1200 dive computers should last more than two years and 200 recreational profile dives. Just saying.

It's unfortunate that happened. I had the same thing happen to mine and Atomic fixed it no charge even though it was out of warranty. They have always been very good about the support of this product, but there are times I get frustrated and wish there were an alternative.

You also could have used the loaner that Divers Supply has on hand. I'm surprised they didn't offer it to you. Maybe I already had it :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom