Cobalt Problem 911--Screen goes blank, flickers, then random screens

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

citycountryguy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Ron, or someone, I hope you are out there and can respond quickly--

I am on the first two weeks of three months in Mexico. I have finished about 25 dives on this trip, and my Cobalt has less than 50 dives total. In my second dive today I looked to check my air and the screen was black. I pressed the on button and it popped back on. After a second it began to flicker, then it randomly flickered, turned on and off, and as I ended the dive, it actually came back on at about 25 feet, stayed on for most of the safety stop, and then worked for a while on the boat. When I got back to start writing this this it turned on and worked fine for about five minutes. Then the screen went totally dark, but with random pixels in different colors. Then the screen came back on for a minute, but only showed the "main menu" words--nothing of the actual menu. It then flicked to the dive screen, and now seems to be a brick--there are only a couple of small lines at the very top of the screen.

When the computer was working I saw that it had all the data from my dives still, including the last one, and seemed to have all of the date even if the screen was dark--it was still recording and tracking the dive. That seems odd to me--like it is a screen issue, not a battery issue. If it was a battery flood, it woeven uld have not been recording the dive after the screen went dark, but I know it was, because it took me about 10 more minutes to get out of the water, and when the screen did work for a minute and I checked the log, the time matched my wife's exactly (she is using her Cobalt).

Aside from the fact that I have many more dives planned in the next few days, I will be in Mexico for a while--and have no good way to get the computer back to you--nor do I really want to live without it while I'm here and diving a lot. I have another week on Cozumel before I go to Playa. Needless to say, these are my heaviest diving days right now.

It is not easy to call or even email from here, as there is an hourly charge...I'll check back again soon, but I hope that you can help me with some advice as to what to do. I didn't think the office would be open or phones answered on a Saturday or I would have found a way to call customer service. Please advise...

Thanks.

Michael Bowers

Most electronics, if they are going to fail are going to fail early in their life. About all you can do on your end is put in fresh batteries, check for a leak, and soak in warm fresh water (to remove minerals). However, my guess is that none will solve the problem and you will need to send it to AA for inspection/replacement.

Hi Michael

I saw your email in our inbox the other day and sent you a message. Did you receive the email? I am incredibly sorry for the inconvenience and I would love to help you with your situation. Please contact me at the email address I used to reply to your email. Thanks Michael...I will continue to look for your response.

Atomic Aquatics

Yes, I got it. I have had dives scheduled every day (saw wonderful squadrons of eagle rays in the north of Cozumel) am moving around a lot, so shipping a loaner will be hard at this point. My wife is returning to the states today, and will bring my unit. I will keep hers in Mexico and use it. She should be contacting you next week about getting it back to you. Thanks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom