Cobalt's USB driver installation error on Windows Vista

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dhartson

Registered
Reaction score
I have taken my first few dives here in The Bahamas using the Cobalt, and will be boarding a liveaboard tomorrow for a week of diving. The Cobalt worked flawlessly, and was a dream to use. I thought the ability to look at the dive profiles from the Cobalt was pretty cool, and decided I wanted to get the dives loaded onto my laptop. I downloaded and installed the software, connected the Cobalt, and Windows tried to automatically install the drivers, but could not find them. So, I pointed Windows to the folder with the drivers softtware (with the search sub-folders box checked), and a dialogue box popped up with the title "Update Driver Software - Unknown Device"; it reads:

"Windows found driver softwae for your device but encountered an error while attempting to install it. [Picture of computer device with question mark, and the name to the right "Atomics-Cobalt"; next line: "There is no driver selected for the device information set or element." Next section: "If you know the manufacturer of your device, you can visit its website and check the support section for driver software."

Curiously, when I connect the Cobalt, instead of the usual "duh-DAH" sound from Windows, it gives me a quick "duh-duh-duh", indicating to me that there is an error when Windows tries to install the USB device. When I disconnect the Cobalt, Windows gives the usual "DAH-duh" sound of a device being removed from the system. This suggests to me that the Cobalt is working correctly in connecting to the Windows computer as a USB device, and that the problem is with the drivers or the installation thereof so that Windows is unable to properly communicate with the Cobalt.

I tried un-installing both the drivers and the dive log software, and deleting the folders, rebooting, and re-downloading the software, and then reinstalling it, but I can't get the drivers installed properly. It's actually a first for me. I have had plenty of problems getting obscure pieces of equipment to work with Windows over the years, and have had to wait for an updated driver, or find an old driver if working with an older OS, but I have never had a current diver fail to install on a currently supported version of Windows, particularly when I have pointed Windows to the location of the folders which contain the drivers.

It would be great if someone has a quick idea that may get this up and running before I board tomorrow. We are on EST, and I'll be able to check the Internet at least up until noon EST.

Regards

David

Hi David

I apologize about your issues with the firmware and the unit. I have forwarded this email onto our Cobalt technician Adan to see if he can help with this issue. I understand that you have already borded the boat and that is might not reach you, but I wanted him to answer it anyway. If you have any other questions or issues, don't hesitate to contact Adan at 888-270-8595 or his email is adan@atomicaquatics.com. Thanks David.

Atomic Aquatics

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom