Cobra 3 sucks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

emeshuris,

Since Aqua Lung is the distributor of Suunto computers in the US, your warranty will not be honored within the US since you purchased the computer via Leisure Pro. You should have a 2 year warranty through Leisure Pro, which you should contact them first about this issue. If they are not willing to help you, then the next step would be to send your computer to an authorized Suunto service center for evaluation. They will be able to evaluate the compass as well as the back light. Please follow the link to locate your nearest authorized dealer if needed. Suunto Dealer Locator

If you have any other questions please do not hesitate to ask.

Best Regards,
Chris from Suunto

I will talk to leisure pro. This warranty business will be the exact reason I will not purchase another suunto product. When I purchased the product, I had no idea that the warranty is provided by a third party. Suunto is aware if leisure pro selling is items, in fact even sells the items to leisure pro, but doesn't honor il their warranty. In any case, I purchased an analog compass, and was planning on using the cobra as a backup to the new eon steel once is available.

---------- Post added October 14th, 2014 at 08:56 AM ----------

Have you called Leisure Pro or Suunto yet? Any updates?
Been a bit busy,will call leisure pro and update this post.

Last edited:
Lots of people buy Suunto products from Leisure Pro, fully understanding that Leisure Pro is not an authorized Suunto dealer. Leisure Pro compensates for this by providing their own warranty, which is as good or better than Suunto's. Yes, please report back on what Leisure Pro says they will do for you under their warranty.

There are several old threads on SB discussing the relationship (or lack thereof) between Leisure Pro and Suunto and the warranty issue. I know that doesn't do you any good at the moment, but it could make for interesting reading. Do a search for these old threads when you get a chance. Personally, I think Leisure Pro's customer service is excellent, and they understand the concerns people have about them not being an authorized Suunto dealer.

Keep in mind that Leisure Pro is able to offer you Suunto products at a discount because of this. You are free to buy Suunto products at full price from authorized dealers.

I want to thank everyone for their replies. Frankly, suunto is not standing by their product. IMHO it is of no consequence where this item was purchased, it is well within the warranty period, suunto should warranty it. Leisure pro's warranty can be fantastic (I'm sure it is ok), they did not let me know that it will be warrantied by a third party, and thats shady. So, thats two companies that I will not deal with.

I want to thank everyone for their replies. Frankly, suunto is not standing by their product. IMHO it is of no consequence where this item was purchased, it is well within the warranty period, suunto should warranty it. Leisure pro's warranty can be fantastic (I'm sure it is ok), they did not let me know that it will be warrantied by a third party, and thats shady. So, thats two companies that I will not deal with.

Fair enough reasoning. I DO think Leisure Pro's website should say more than that Suunto products come with a 24 month warranty--I agree they should add that the warranty is backed by Leisure Pro, not Suunto. But I suppose Leisure Pro might take the position that it shouldn't matter from the customer's perspective--a 24 month warranty is a 24 month warranty. If the customer ends up getting the same or better warranty, why should the customer care whose warranty it is?

It's not clear what control Suunto may or may not have over Leisure Pro's ability to acquire Suunto products. If you read the old threads I mentioned, people have made assertions ranging from Suunto being legally unable to do anything to stop Leisure Pro from selling Suunto products to Suunto secretly being in cahoots with Leisure Pro.

I see no reason to blame Suunto. It's not an uncommon practice for manufacturers' warranties to only be valid when their products are purchased through the manufacturers' authorized channels. Suunto is hardly the only company with this warranty policy.

It's not an uncommon practice for manufacturers' warranties to only be valid when their products are purchased through the manufacturers' authorized channels.
These are the companies that I stay away from. These are the same manufacturers that have non transferable warranties. All it says to me is that they do not stand behind their product and want to extract as much money as they can from their customers.
Can you imagine buying a chevy from me that is a few months old and then having a warranty denied because you didn't buy it from the manufacturer? Me neither. Don't worry though, it's covered by my warranty, you can have it fixed, by my crack team of techs, same as chevy's. You can trust me with the your life :D.

I'll agree with you about the lack of transferability of the warranty. It is a drawback.

I think the practice differs in different product sectors. Automobiles, sure. But in dive gear, is it common for manufacturers to offer transferable warranties? I have no idea--just wondering.

emeshuris,

I aplogize if I was unclear in my previous post, but Suunto does honor the leisure pro warranty. Leisure pro will send the malfunctioning computer back to Suunto Finland.
What I said was that Aqua Lung is the US distributor and does not honor Leisure Pro warranty. Aqua Lung does not honor warranty via online sales from third party companies in the US.

Best Regards,
Chris from Suunto

What I recall others saying happens is that Leisure Pro often just replaces a malfunctioning computer with a new one, rather than making the customer wait until the repair comes back from Finland or wherever. In this way, it does seem Leisure Pro's warranty could be a win for the customer. In any event, let us know what happens.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom