Cobra anomaly

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

John_ZAR

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi All,

I use a Vr3 and a Suunto Cobra (in gauge mode) for my diving, the Cobra is really only used as a SPG although I download the Cobra data to Suunto Dive Manager as I can keep track of my SAC rate of the back gas.

At 137bar on my back gas I switch to 53% at 19m for 18 min and then switch to 99% for 5 min. Therefore I am not using my back gas for 24 min yet when I review the graph in SDM of the dive, the consumption of the back gas continues until the end of the dive where I end up with 102 bar. That is a difference of 35 bar that I didn’t use. Other than it being a demon cave dweller hitching a ride to the exit without my knowledge I am puzzled.

The Cobra samples every 10 seconds and logs the data so therefore it would not / should not average out the gas usage over the dive but should show zero gas usage from when I switch.

Any ideas? and no there are no leaks.

CCTilt3.gif

Last edited:
That's not a demon cave dweller, as far as I can tell it's a transvestite trying to look macho.

Therefore I am not using my back gas for 24 min yet when I review the graph in SDM of the dive, the consumption of the back gas continues until the end of the dive where I end up with 102 bar. That is a difference of 35 bar that I didn’t use. Other than it being a demon cave dweller hitching a ride to the exit without my knowledge I am puzzled.

The Cobra samples every 10 seconds and logs the data so therefore it would not / should not average out the gas usage over the dive but should show zero gas usage from when I switch.

Any ideas? and no there are no leaks.

What gas supply are you using for wing/suit inflation?

I have an independent 2L for my suit and my wing is inflated off my back gas. That said I am ascending and then remaining at 18m so I would not be inflating my wing, maybe and this is a stretch, I use a little gas to get my trim correct but that wouldn't account for a 35 bar loss. I will, on my next dive, write down my back gas pressure when I switch to deco and then check the pressure of the back gas when I exit the water. I am assuming that this will be within my expected parameters and will highlight that the SDM program is the problem.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom