COBRA>>>>>>>>GODS!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

QuoVadis

Contributor
Reaction score
Looks like you guys/gals talked me into a Suunto Cobra purchase....A few questions....I have a 1st stage reg with two high pressure ports, should i use my SPG along with my 'puter when i dive? Also, does the Cobra give current water temp?? Did not see it on there demo. Last but not least, is the screen bright enough (Oh, one more) can you change the battery by yourself? Thanks for the help!!

If you have'nt bought one yet I have one for sell. PM me if your interested.

Damien

To a large extent it depends on what kind of diving you are doing. If you are doing recreational diving, then you probably don't need to have the pressure guage. If you are doing wreck or cave, or even technical, then you might want both, but most of them seam to go for the Vytek.

The Cobra does show water temperature. But for some reason the Dive Manager always shows the air temp on mine, and a few others.

As to the back light, I don't know if you can keep it turned on or not. I generally just push the main button and it lights up or I shine my light on it if its that dark, I have one on anyway.

Water temp is on an alternate display - you have to press a button to get to it, and then the display goes back to the main display after 5 seconds.

RPanick:
The Cobra does show water temperature. But for some reason the Dive Manager always shows the air temp on mine, and a few others.

As to the back light, I don't know if you can keep it turned on or not. I generally just push the main button and it lights up or I shine my light on it if its that dark, I have one on anyway.

The Dive Manager Program will show Both Water and Air temps if you want it to.

The Cobra does show water temp (see example below), but when telling others about the water temp based upon your computer it we often list it as 65 Suunto degrees. That is because Suunto computers are slow to read temprature changes. So 65 on your computer may be another persons 62.

As for the back light, this is also user adjustable. You can adjust how long it stays on. But remember when setting this, back light on is battery used and will shorten you battery life.

I appreciate the info. What about battery changes? Can that be done by the user or do you have to send it in?

Hi QV

you can change the battery on the Cobra, the manual shows you how to do it.

You must take great care changing the battery. I have done it myself without incident. The replacement of the back cover is tricky - you have to press the cover in with your thumb and make sure the o-ring seats properly and then press the black cover on and twist it. You almost run out of fingers!!!

Handy hint: the o-ring is a bog standard imperial o-ring (the number is in the manual). The battery is also a standard coin cell (the spec is in the manual). Depending on the price of Suunto spares in your area, you can potentially save quite a bit of cash by purchasing the bits and pieces yourself. Just remember to lubricate the o-ring !!!lightly!!! with some o-ring grease before installing it.

Hope this is of assistance.

Cheers,

Andrew

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom