Coca-Holic a Bad Thing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MNScuba

Reaction score
I've read on some post around here that caffeine etc is not a good thing to have when diving, and especially pop. I am a Coca-holic and probably drink 6 cans a day, so what I am wondering is...

If I am planning on diving at 11:00am on Saturday, when should my last Coke be had? One, two, three hours before, one day before???

I just want to try and eliminate any factors that might effect my diving (besides the fact I'm new at it)!

Three things -

1. Coke DISSOLVES YOUR TEETH! (my roommate is a dentist)
2. 6 cans of Coke = ~1000 extra calories a day your body probably doesn't need
3. You're gonna pee in your wetsuit because of all of the caffeine you've ingested

(mind you I'm drinking a can of Diet Coke as I type this)

Drinking a Diet Coke as I type this as well... Sounds like I'd better get used to water in more than one way! Oh well, maybe getting into diving will help me kick my habit. I quit smoking so I can do anything I guess!

Murdock325 "Oh well, maybe getting into diving will help me kick my habit. I quit smoking so I can do anything I guess!"

Quit Coke, cut back ... err ok. Quit, blasphemous.

I quit Coke right after college because I could barely afford to feed myself with the job I had at the time. After the 3 day withdrawal headache went away I vowed to NEVER go through that again! The last 6 years have been virtually soda free. I drink Sprite on occasion although every once in a while (once or twice a year) I indulge in a Coke.

Man did I hate giving up the Kit Kat and a Coke breakfasts of my college years! Delicious and nutritious---ummm ok maybe just delicious!
Ber :bunny:

Sugar is bad about removing moisture. That is why the military encourages water over kool-aid and other sweetened drinks for hydration.

Consider this, both salt and sugar are used to cure ham and other foods. They are used because they draw out the blood (water) from the ham.. See my post under coffee for a better example.

Murdoc-Don't get frightened by all the posts about it. You can drink a coke right beore diving, and actualy-you can also do it WHILE diving. The only reall problem will be the gass bursting out of you when you ascend. As everybody around you, and yourself are breathing from a tank with compressed gass, the only ones to suffer are the fish.

That's just about right. Nothing wrong with a coke before the dive. Add to it the fact that flavored drinks tend to make you more thirsty, so if you drink coke, you will probobly drink more than what you'd drink if you drank water.

Back
Top Bottom