Is it safe for me to fly? I really need to get home.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BigAladdin

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Being recently Padi certified. And extremely addicted to this. I think I made a mistake. I’ve arrived to my destination on Friday. And completed 2 dives both approx 45 mins each with a max depth of 65 feet for many 20 mins or so. I then went ahead and dove twice again the next day (Saturday) after 18 hours of last dive only and the same 45 mins, max depth at aprox 65 feet for 25 mins ; Today (Sunday); after about 18 hours. Went again on a boat but this time did just one dive with same metrics as above. The dive master notice that I went on three days in a row and recommended I don’t die the second to make my flight I have at 2 AM, which is literally in less than or exactly 12 hours.. we had to do a emergency exit just once on the first day, which probably increases the risk of DCI. Other than that would I just be safe to travel or is it just best to wait this out? I really don’t want to spend the money because the money would take to change this would literally satisfy a trip to Scuba Dive elsewhere in the world.

The (one) recommendation is to wait at least 18 hours after multi-day repetitive diving.

These are the guidelines from DAN:

Consensus recommendations for flying after diving​

• A minimum of 12-hour surface interval was recommended for the single no-decompression dive.
  • A minimum of 18-hour surface interval for multi-day repetitive diving.
  • Substantially longer than 18 hours after diving involving compulsory decompression, or using heliox and trimix.

Seems like you are wondering if the 18 hours between dives causes your AM dive today to count as a "single no-deco dive" and only need to wait 12 hours. I would not take that chance. Sorry you messed up and it will cost you money, buy I think DCS is likely more expensive.

What dive computer did you use? Some of them give more info that can help judge risk.

It is definitely less than the recommended time, and without more info I definitely wouldn't do it. The correct answer everyone should give is "Don't do it"!

But, with my Garmin (or a Shearwater and several others) I would look at the SurfGF at the end of each dive (especially the most recent ones) and the current tissue graphs. If GF's were << 50% and the current tissue graphs were < 20% and looked like they would be <10% by the flight, I would probably personally take the risk (but you shouldn't).

Was the emergency ascent late in the dive or from close to max depth? If not, then likely it doesn't significantly increase risk. In any case it has been long enough that other factors likely dominate.

I ALWAYS wait 24 hours between the last dive and my flight (for NDL diving). Changing your flight plans and paying for the extra fees are MUCH less expensive than having to deal with any diving related illness afterwards.

(I hope that you have joined DAN and got their dive insurance)

Did you divecomputer make any suggestions on when you would be desaturated?

The guidelines are just that: guidelines for somewhat standardized conditions. Real life has more variables, and some folks have been okay with shorter surface intervals, and some have gotten bent when seemingly well within the guidelines. What is your metabolism like, how hydrated have you been? To quote Clint Eastwood: Are you feeling lucky? Our group won't do anything more than a short, very shallow shore dive within 24 hours of flying.

[if GF99] would be <10% by the flight, I would probably personally take the risk (but you shouldn't).
Absolutely do not do this -- it will go to zero LONG before it's safe to fly. In the 2002 Duke study, GF99 was at or below 0 at the 3 hr mark, but at the commercial flight pressurization altitude of 8000 ft, it was 38%. More than 8% of the subjects in that group developed DCS.

Back
Top Bottom