Cochran GEMINI

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It dives fine. Never saw any problems with it. Does have a nice big display. I just don't think it is very user friendly for set up. If you want to change nitrox from 32 to 36 or to air for instance, you need to use a coin for one move, wet fingers for the next, and back to the coin to lock the change.
Rather confusing if you ask me.

Mike Veitch:
It dives fine. Never saw any problems with it. Does have a nice big display. I just don't think it is very user friendly for set up. If you want to change nitrox from 32 to 36 or to air for instance, you need to use a coin for one move, wet fingers for the next, and back to the coin to lock the change.
Rather confusing if you ask me.
Mike,

You are right, you do need to use a metal object. I usually use the blunt tip of my dive knife, but I have been known to use the metal fitting on the end of my low pressure inflator hose.

Zyxomma,

It can be a pain, especially since the with the Gemini most of these settings are changed using the contacts on the tank unit, and only when there is no high pressure breathing gas being applied to the computer (tank turned off and lines bled). This is a drawback and should be considered in your purchase.

The need to use at times a metal object and other times your wetted finger does take some getting used to. Cochran chose to design this in to the computer because they wanted to eliminate entirely any buttons as a failure point. The computer can tell the difference in resistence between the metal and a wetted finger and treats them as different input methods. This is also the way the computer detects the differrence between salt and fresh water.

All of the usual things that you want to change on your surface interval are acceable with this method. Nitrox Mix, User added conservatism, depth alarm, these sort of things are all changed by this method. The more esoteric settings are only changed with the Analyst software on a PC.

To compare the differences between the standard and professional versions of the software you should probably look on the www.divecochran.com website. Since they are getting ready to introduce new PC software I am not familiar with the differences on the new software, but I do think if you get a Cochran computer you should definitely get the software, and make sure you get the new version 4, or at least a free upgrade to the soon to be introduced new software.

Mark Vlahos

I owned a Gemini 2FO2 with Intelligent Wrist Unit - I did 38 dives with it with no significant problems (I'll get to that...). Anyway, long after the dive (sometimes weeks afterwards), the tank unit would occasionally turn itself on (indicated by beeping) for no apparent reason - the unit is only supposed to turn on if it senses air pressure from a tank. My regulator was always unconnected from a tank when the unit would turn itself on. Also sometimes at the beginning of a dive, the unit would indicate a very high breathing rate (overbreathing) when I was calmly breathing normally. Also, it was impossible to change the time on the wrist unit so I was stuck with Texas time. None of these problems were life-threatening but I lost confidence with the Gemini, always bracing myself for more problems - I eventually returned the Gemini and Cochran gave me a full refund. In all fairness to Cochran, their technical assistance guy, Chad Wimberly, was very nice and tried to help me everytime I contacted him. In the end, he admitted that some of the problems were caused by programming bugs and could not be solved even if Cochran replaced my Gemini with a new unit. I have saved most of the e-mails if you are interested in seeing them.

I also have some experiences with various model of the Cochran Commander and I would recommend the Commander over the Gemini as it is alot less complicated and somewhat easier to use (if Cochran is the only brand that you are considering). Cochran's display design is very intuitive and easy to read, but the touch contacts using fingers, a coin and a "magic stick" (in the old Nemesis days) takes some getting used to. The Gemini's Tank Unit is huge and sometimes gets in the way. There is also a strange problem where the Wrist Unit can go into an unresponsive "sleep" mode with Gemini Wrist Units with serial number between 35,600 and 37,000.

Some people also have a big problem with Cochran's automatic gas switching feature (which I won't go into here) so I suggest that you download the Gemini manual from the Cochran website and study it carefully to make sure that this is the computer you want.

WRIST UNIT WILL NOT WAKE-UP: If the WU is separated from the TU, while cylinder
pressure is being displayed and the WU goes to "sleep". The WU will not respond to
bridging or shorting contacts 1 and 2 (will not wake-up). In order to "wake - up" the WU, a
battery reset will have to be preformed. To perform a battery reset:
1. Remove the WU battery cap, using the battery replacement tool
2. Remove the top battery
3. Reinsert the battery backward (negative end in first)
4. Replace the battery cap
5. Wait +/- 15 seconds
6. Remove the battery cap
7. Remove the top battery
8. Reinsert the battery correctly (positive end in first)
9. Replace the battery cap
To prevent this WU condition, ensure that the WU is displaying zero cylinder pressure
before it is separated from the TU.

Vie:
Also sometimes at the beginning of a dive, the unit would indicate a very high breathing rate (overbreathing) when I was calmly breathing normally. Also, it was impossible to change the time on the wrist unit so I was stuck with Texas time.
Hi,

My Gemini also reports a high breathing rate at the beginning of a dive but it is because as I descend I need to add air to my BC, since the computer sees a decrease in tank pressure that is a result of both my breathing and filling my BC it reports a high breathing rate. Your problem may or may not be from this same cause.

The time issue confuses me, my computer can be sync'd to my PC clock using the Analyst software. I have never had any difficulty setting the time, but I will admit that the clock function is not the best when it comes to displaying the time on the wrist unit. It is great however when it comes to accurately logging the start time of a dive.

As for losing confidence in your dive computer, lets face it ALL dive computers will eventually fail. No manufacturer is perfect. Suunto computers are well respected by many people on this board and if you search you will find reports of those computers failing. Pelagic computers fail, Cochrans fail, VR3's fail, they all fail, even bottom timers and watches fail! Earlier I owned both an Oceanic and an Aeris computer, they each gave me some problems; I replaced them with my Cochran not because I lost faith in them but because they each were not able to deal with multiple breathing gasses. I can say with a reasonable amount of certainty that eventually my Cochran it will fail. I have a redundant backup for when that happens. If I were diving with just a watch and a depth guage, I would choose to have a backup for these as well. If your confidence is shaken that alone can be enough reason to switch, that choice is yours and I respect your right to make it.

Dive safe, and dive often.

Mark Vlahos

Hey Mark why don't you just send the guy the manual? LOL Hope you are diving

GDI:
Hey Mark why don't you just send the guy the manual? LOL Hope you are diving
Hi Rick!

I am hoping for a day out of Virginia Beach in a couple of weeks and then in just under two months I am off to Cozumel for a short week of diving. I am sooo ready to get in the water:wink: .

Mark Vlahos

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom