Cocos or Truk

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wow. Thanks for all the replies. Chuuck looks awesome. We would not do wreck penetration dives I don’t think. It seems that we could still have a great time though. It’s a bear to get there it seems.

Hi there,

You've had some great advice and what a trip to be planning! I'm sure you'll have a great time.

I just wanted to add we have a variety of liveaboards in Micronesia (including at Chuuck), and there's information about each dive site/area on our website under Micronesia liveaboard diving. That might help with your dive planning.

The dive masters on our trips take small groups of divers with them, so there is plenty of support should you feel you need it at any time.

Don't hesitate to ask if I can help at all :)

Just got back from a trip to Truk Lagoon, Chuuk on the Odyssey Liveaboard.

AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME DIVING!!!

Do you need to be a super experienced diver to enjoy this? Absolutely not.
Does it help? Sure.
Will the staff do everything they can to make it as enjoyable as possible for you? Yes

The experience level of the people on this trip ranged from an OW diver (he got AOW, EANx, and Wreck specialty certified ON the trip), to the 1-2x/year trip people, to technical divers. The less experienced folks were put on larger tanks and were able to extend their dive times. You're allowed to do whatever is within your comfort level. Penetration? If you feel like you can do it, they'll take you in and make sure you get out. No penetration... you won't be shamed. There's plenty to see on the outside.

The accommodations are very nice. The dive deck was great... you set up on your equipment when you arrive and the only thing you need to do after that is remove your 1st stage to have your tank refilled where it sits on the bench.

They have a bar that hangs at 15', a ladder AND an elevator, separate fresh water rinse bins for gear and cameras and a fresh water hose and shower.

HIGHLY recommend that if you're traveling from a far distance that you stay hydrated, get plenty of rest, and perhaps take it a little slow on the first day to acclimate. One experienced dive had enough DCS symptoms that he spent several days on shore in the chamber and hospital. Another diver staying at BLR also ended up in the chamber the same week. If you're not used to doing 4-5 dives/day, pace yourself. it's hard not to have the mentality of being in an all-you-can-eat-buffet and wanting to get your money's worth, but just like you shouldn't eat until you make yourself sick, you shouldn't do it with diving either.

Also, don't be in a rush to surface after a 3-minute safety stop. I did my 3 and then, on average spend at least another 5-10 minutes on the bar enjoying the view and weightlessness.

Not experienced or don't have enough buoyancy control for penetration? My recommendation is, if you still want to get inside, wear gloves and move around using your fingers and fins just to stabilize yourself, and minimize using them for propulsion. Think about what you're touching so you're not pinching something that'll break or stir up silt. There are plenty of things you can use to maneuver yourself around without damaging anything or making a mess.

I have every intention of doing this trip again some day. It was great.

My recommendation for lodging? I stayed at the L5 when I arrived. VERY nice hotel with a very good café with a great menu. Also right across the street from the airport.
I stayed at the Blue Lagoon Resort at the end of the trip. If/when I make this trip again I'll be staying at the L5 at both ends. I'll leave it at that.

Liveaboard mv.Odyssey in Chuuk moors directly over the wrecks so virtually no swimming! Cocos can have very strong currents.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom