Cocos trip review

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

HBO MD

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I recently had the opportunity to visit the Cocos Islands aboard the Undersea Hunter in early June. As most of us here at the forum, I was very excited to travel to a new and very talked about destination which promised a great deal of big fish action. This anticipation was only fueled by reading the dive operator's blog and previous reviews. My imagination was primed with hopes of big animal encounters and I felt sure that the chances were in our favor.
On arrival at the Undersea Hunter, we were introduced to the crew and the dive masters. Toby hailed from Germany originally, but now lived mainly in Spain. He would prove to be a delightful, resourceful and very capable DM who worked tirelessly to support all the divers.
Of course, the crossing was the worst in years, and all but the hardiest sailors remained below in their cabins awaiting the clunking rattle of the anchor chain which would signal our arrival at Cocos.
The crossing left us somewhat exhausted, but excitement at having arrived rapidly eclipsed the fatigue and had us scampering top side to be briefed and get in the water.
The check out dive was fine: everyone adjusting weights, checking out their suits and adjusting their camera equipment.
It was the typical rush to acclimate prior to doing the "real dives". We were quickly split into 2 groups which turned out largely to be the "allies" vs the "germans".
We were regaled with stories of tiger sharks, schooling hammerheads and other tales of wonderment and big animal encounters. Sadly, it was not to happen. Not for the entire trip really. I realize one has no control over nature and it just happened that the El Nino was not in our favor. Isolated hammers, galapagos sharks were witnessed but not the schooling masses we had so hoped for. Most of us understood, and made the best of it with levity and humor, but events would unfold which would certainly challenge us.
Diving was definitely not for the faint of heart. Currents were extremely strong leaving many of us exhausted to merely reach a handhold on the reef below. If one was also carrying a camera, the burden was merely increased. Efforts didn't always pay off, and we would be straining our eyes, only imagining shadows somewhere off in the distance...despite DM insistence that there were hammers "just out of view". Re entering the boat was often a challenge amidst the chop and swells accompanying the cooler weather, but the single driver on board was skilled in helping us up and finding us despite surfacing at a distance or the rain. This site is clearly only for the very skilled and fit. Currents may shift and change and toss divers effortlessly about. A good understanding of your limitations and buoyancy control is essential. The potential for injury, both physical or DCS is very real. In fact one diver did develop DCS and was sucking down 100% O2 once it was evident why he was not well. Despite advice to stop diving from the physician who was on board, he decided to continue after a short break. One has to remember that in the event of injury, there is no easy access to medical care. Even if a doctor is on board, facilities are the very bare essentials and inadequate for anything beyond scrapes and bruises. If there is a serious injury, the boat must turn around and head back to the mainland : another 36 hours away.
As time went on, a neophyte diver who happened to be a new hire to the company kept shouting out giddily that her dives were the "best ever". It soon began to grate upon us as we were in no need of a company cheer leader, and the dives were typically mediocre at best. Entertainment was provided on board, perhaps to distract us, when our cheer leader continually flirted with the crew and one of the DM in a very sophomoric way. We did encounter hunting wild dolphins on 1 dive and that was indeed a truly magnificent encounter. It whetted our appetites for more but it was not to be.
In addition, we were informed early on that the water filtration system might emit a sulfurous odor, and so doors should be kept open down amongst the cabins. Sure enough, the cabin area smelt like an unattended men's room in summer; it was very unpleasant. However it did seem to appeal to the cockroaches who were found scampering about the dining area. Food was good, but not always plentiful, although the chef did his best to attend to everyone's culinary needs and idiosyncrasies.
As time progressed it became evident that our hopes of big animal encounters were going to remain merely that : hopes. Such is life on dive trips.
Upon our return, the crew quickly dissolved into the background once tips were given and we found ourselves searching quickly for our rides back to the hotel and ultimately home. No one from management appeared despite our encounter with DCS during the trip, which left us dismayed and curious. Just what would it take for them to be interested in events that took place on board?
Would we return? Probably not.
While we realize that many people have had completely contrary experiences with this outfit, in our opinion, we found that management was lacking and was not responsive when we contacted them after the trip. Our concerns over the handling of DCS, the cockroaches, pungent sulfurous aroma all went unanswered despite later remarks and inquiries. Perhaps of equal concern was the fact that the subsequent dive blog seemed to remark on a different trip altogether. If more than 1 hammer was seen, then the blog described it as "... the largest schools of hammerheads were seen at...". There were other examples of exaggeration of events which would only serve to entice prospective divers, much as we had been. We left feeling that marketing imperatives had superseded any others. We were disappointed to say the least. That is not to say that there will not be other trips which will no doubt be spectacular, but in our minds what will remain are the unfortunate issues of marketing, professionalism and lack of communication.

Your post would be better placed under "Central America". Cocos, as part of Costa Rica, is not in South America.

Sorry to hear about your trip. I find it very surprising that your encounters with sharks were so scarce. I was on the same boat in March, which is expected to have warmer waters and smaller shark populations, yet we saw multiple hammerheads on nearly every dive.

Often the hammerhead schools we saw were found not at the dive site per se, but while floating "in the blue" at the end of dives. Maybe your divemasters decided to opt out on the free floating because of the high currents?

...thanks for the candid report...both on the actual state/quality of the diving as well as the stout diving conditions.....all too many glossy sales brochures hide the true reality of the situation on the ground. My main concern about Cocos is that I've heard the Costa Rican government (in typical banana republic corruption fashion) has made a deal with the Asian shark fishing fleets 'mafia' to look the other way while the sharks of Cocos are plundered for shark fins, so that the glory days of Cocos are long since past and all the sharks are rapidly being exterminated...although surprisingly (major sarcasm intended!) all the travel brochures fail to mention this reality....so given the substantial expense of this trip, not to mention the strenous conditions, I regret to say this is a trip I'd do if I had a time machine and could go back in time 20-30 years at least, before the Asians discovered it.

I can tell you that just as recently as August 2009 I experienced the most life-changing hammerhead action at Cocos (and that was my 5th trip) - there are truly no words to describe what we experienced. On my most recent trip (I arrived the day the OP was leaving), there were not the schools like we are used to, but towards the end of the trip, the hammers were starting to come in to the cleaning stations - something the DMs said had not been happening since December. I also found it very interesting that the trip reports out of Socorro were saying they had great hammer action, which is something I never saw on my 2 trips there. While we will never get back to the way it was 30 years ago, I don't believe it is over - I believe El Nino played a big role.

As far as your issues with the boat - keep pressing. You never know if it's the internet, lack of communication etc, but we had an issue, and while it took a while to get resolved, we did get finally get it resolved.

I've been to Cocos in 2007, 2008, and 2009. All three trips were "as advertised" . We saw schooling hammers, tons of rays, dolphins, a manta, mobulas, silver tips, galapagos sharks, silkies, and whale sharks on each trip.
i am very sorry to hear that you had a bad trip. I am convinced that el nino is to blame. the big animals don't like warmer water. in fact, i specifically didn't plan a trip to cocos this year because of the el nino conditions (i wouldn't go to galapagos this year either). I think that next year sometime june - september (august would be my pick) would be a good time to return.
as far as conditions go, cocos can be quite challenging. i sat out a couple of dives last year when we got to the site because i didn't feel comfortable getting in the water. if you expect conditions similar to the carribbean (and i'm not insinuating that you did) you will be in for a big surprise.
as far as the boat, that is a bit surprising to hear. i've been on the argo and the undersea hunter (both operated by the undersea hunter group) and found them to be top notch operations. if you ever see a documentary about cocos or sharks (imax sharks, island of the sharks, shark island, dive to shark volcano, etc), pay attention to the boat that the film crew is based on. look familiar? wonder why...

Thnx for the report

I feel obliged to respond to the original poster with my experience at Cocos Island in June this year, as part of HM Forces Exercise Jurassic Shark 3. The expedition travelled on the Undersea Hunter Argo.

It would be fair to say that the journey to Cocos (36 hours) was one of the most uncomfortable I've ever undertaken, and I spent the majority of it in my bed. On arrival at Cocos we all entered the water at Manuelita Bay for a weights/kit check. This was a relaxing dive and went without incident. As the original poster described, the team was then split into two (yellow/blue) skiffs.

Because the main objective of the expedition was to tag Scalloped Hammerheads, we were carrying spear guns and sample spears which only added to the difficulty when trying to cling to a reef for dear-life. At this point I think it's important to remind people that Cocos Island is well documented as a location for 'advanced' divers, and a diver's fitness is his/her own responsibility. Given that all but two of our eighteen divers were military personnel, the fitness of the group was relatively strong, but on dives at Alcyone and the Dos Amigos sites many of us became tired very easily. I can assure you that however tiring it is trying to hold on at Alcyone, it's considerably harder whilst trying to point a spear gun at sharks! .... and sharks there certainly were. We encountered numerous schools of up to fifty Scalloped Hammerheads (what a view from below - breathtaking!), a few schools of Galapagos sharks, maybe a thousand Whitetip Reef sharks, one Tiger shark and one Whale shark.

The Dive Masters had fore-warned us about the effects of 'Il Nino' in case we ended the expedition disappointed but I doubt if anybody left unhappy. On this note, the Dive Masters (one of whom was called Steve, the name of the other escapes me) were very professional and knew the sites well. All of the other staff aboard the Argo were courteous and professional also.

It sounds as though the original poster was very unfortunate not to have been impressed by the diversity of pelagic fish at Cocos Island, I would hope that the Undersea Hunter organisation aren't held culpable for something over which they have no control.

This post is a personal account of Ex JSIII and is absolutely un-official.

Good for you - I am delighted to have read your positive impressions as I am the greatest fan of Cocos and the Undersea Hunter fleet, though I have been to Cocos on all the other liveaboards. All are great but the Sea Hunter fleet has always seemed to achieved a notch higher. I just had two clients return from back to back trips on Sea Hunter and Undersea Hunter and although their fith trip, they said it was more incredible than ever. I suppose it teaches us that no matter how much you plan and how much you spend, if nature says she is not going to play, then we just have to suffer through it with a smile. I am truly very sorry that the first post had a less than stellar experience to Cocos but I hope he does not remove it from his future dive calendar, and that others do not get put of by what he experienced.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom