Cocoview: Vintage Equipment Friendly?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

USdiver1

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
I'll be packing my dive bag for a week down at CCV, and was wondering if it is worth the extra weight of adding my Phoenix equipped DA Aqua Master to my regulator bag? I can doll it up to accept all sorts of "required" add-ons like an SPG, LP hose for a BCD and an Octopus second stage, or dive it "nekkid with a J-valve" as God and JYC intended.

Anyone been to CCV on the Double Hose Plan?

There should be no objections.

I once did a 50 minute dive at CCV while just sucking out of the tank valve w/ no reg at all, just feathering the valve for airflow. That was a parlour trick we used to have to learn for certification back in the real double hose days.

Not a whole lot of restrictions on what you do.

I assume, when you are talking about a "J" valve, you are talking about the kind that is built into the tank's valve. They don't have any of those. I have never seen one on a double hose regulator (itself), but I'm always learning something new. What do you have?

Is it "worth the weight" ? I am a confirmed check your regulator in baggage kind of guy- so I never would say "yes" to that question if I thought to carry it on as cabin allowance.

Last edited:
The DMs at CCV have seen my DA Phoenix on several trips, no problems at all. They don't have any J-valves that I saw, so a SPG is not a bad idea. I was using my Zeagle Scout as a BC but odds are after you dive a day or 2 and prove you are competent diver, shedding the wing will likely not be an issue either. I did inform the DMs on the boat that a barrel roll was just me clearing a little water out of the mouthpiece. Go dive, don't ask and prove you know what you are doing, my bet is they will not say a word. I dove mine in Coz earlier this year and had no problems except that one DM insisted on “helping“ me while I was not looking by readjusting my tank…..hit my head the entire dive…..a short please leave my gear alone conversation took care of that problem. I would suggest you take your reg back to the room so they don‘t “help“ you by installing it for you which they will do if you leave it in your cubby..

There should be no objections.

I once did a 50 minute dive at CCV while just sucking out of the tank valve w/ no reg at all, just feathering the valve for airflow. That was a parlour trick we used to have to learn for certification back in the real double hose days.

Not a whole lot of restrictions on what you do.

I assume, when you are talking about a "J" valve, you are talking about the kind that is built into the tank's valve. They don't have any of those. I have never seen one on a double hose regulator (itself), but I'm always learning something new. What do you have?
Is it "worth the weight" ? I am a confirmed check your regulator in baggage kind of guy- so I never would say "yes" to that question if I though to carry it on as cabin allowance.

The Hydrolung and one of the Voit Triest models had built in J valves.

That's great to hear. I'll pack the Aqua Master for sure. And I didn't really expect to find any resorts still using J valves, they went the way of the dinosaurs about the same time that 72 cu ft 2250 psi steel cylinders disappeared, say 1976. So an SPG it is, as the Aqua Master is not a Sportsways Hydrolung nor a Voit Trieste J.

As to DHs in my closet, let's just say that my addiction is worse than some, but not nearly a bad as others (you know who you are). The regulator I will be bringing is probably the most common DH made, a US Diver / Aqualung DA Aqua Master. It is a two stage regulator that was manufactured from the late 1950s through the early 1970s. The one I will bring is one of the last models, a Round Label, from about 1970. It is fitted with a great upgrade, the Phoenix valve which makes the first stage balanced (inhalation effort is nearly the same regardless of tank pressure) and adds three LP and three HP ports to the regulator. Think of it as a Resto-mod, kind of like dropping a modern crate Hemi into a slant six Dodge Coronet.

You will certainly have one huge advantage at CCV and Roatan's unique South side diving.

The rear exhaust on double hose regs, way behind your head (instead of to the side of your mouth) allows you to get extremely close to the little tiny and baby critters that dot the florid walls.

It is amazing how much more quickly you'll be able to edge closer to the Garden Eels than with a standard regulator. Other critters, too.

The best I could come up with in terms of adapting a single hose was this:

DSC_0007-2.jpg

I find fish are not as shy when I use the DH, esp the little ones. Doc, we can come up with a good DH if you want one, hate to see you kill yourself modifying gear....it is life support equipment you know. :)

Doc, we can come up with a good DH if you want one,

Other than the 4 or 5 antiques in the basement? (Hey, wait a minute... whadd'ya mean by "good", exactly?)

...hate to see you kill yourself modifying gear....it is life support equipment you know. :)

:rofl3: I got GOOP and cable ties... I'm good.

@Roatanman,

Yes the DH does have the advantage of the behind the head bubbles. In my murderous past it was an advantage with the spear, in my dotage an advantage as a photog, if I'm so inclined. And as to your snorkel tube modification, well don't waste time applying for the patent, just stick to your day job and you'll do fine. Seriously though, a DH is a fine tool to have in one's dive locker. You should consider one.

Might I recommend some pvc pipes, duct tape and some liquid perfluorocarbon? Would love to try a DH sometime. Have fun at Coco!

Back
Top Bottom