Cold Water Drysuits??? What should I be looking for?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I wish i had access to more products. I do my homework, research all these great products. I know what I want, but I cant test them. That's the crazy part about newfoundland. so many beautiful diving locations. World War II wrecks. 17th and 18th century wrecks. All right here, literally in my back yard. And there are only 2 dive shops that i know of, within 500 kms.

Thanks for all the info tho.

Yes Wayne, people do come to these forums to get unbiased opinions which is why as a general rule manufactures, distributors and dealers stay clear unless questioned directly.

This is what makes this forum so great! Over 90% of consumers trust peer reviews and only 14% trust advertisements or manufacturer/distributor direct information, making this forum the single best place for consumers to get unbiased information (besides from their dive buddies).

Just checking your website and you certainly do have allot of Santi gear and you also work the Santi booth at trade shows.

It's difficult to give an unbiased opinion when you have a vested interest in selling the product in question.

WHAT AN ABSURD STATEMENT.

First - In all of the posts on this thread Wayne has presented nothing but advice based on his personal experiences concerning which drysuits are best for a cold water environment. This is NOT the Santi or Whites thread so shouldn't everyone be able to express their opinion regardless of their position in the dive world?

Second - Of all the different places and people that offer dive products, Wayne has earned my respect largely because of his "whatever works best for you" approach. As a diver who purchased a Whites drysuit from him, I can personally vouch for the fact that he is most intrested in helping you get what is best for you.

Third - Yes Justin, people do come to this forum to get unbiased opinions. I take particular note that you are not complaining about any of the posts with good reviews for YOUR product but instead single out someone who is presenting alternate opinions.

Anyone have any experience with WATERPROOF Drysuits? i like the look of the D1 hybrid and the D7. just wondering if they are worth the money? The quick change seals look convenient.

Anyone have any experience with WATERPROOF Drysuits? i like the look of the D1 hybrid and the D7. just wondering if they are worth the money? The quick change seals look convenient.

waterproof suits are tops, only downside to them is you can't get custom made so if you don't fit into one of their off the shelf sizes then you might as well pick something else.

Dan,

It's a difficult question to answer because each diver will have their own personal preferences.

Personally I would consider the following options:-

1) Kneepads on the suit because wear and tear around the knees can be a source of future leaks.

2) Sitech dump valve. I have used both types of Apeks valves and I think the Sitech valve seems to dump a lot quicker.

3) If you plan on doing lengthy time underwater then a P valve might be worthy of consideration.

4) For me personally I prefer a neoprene neck seal. A Latex seal is more waterproof but tighter around the neck than a neoprene seal. The reason I prefer a neoprene neck seal is that it's easier to get into / out of ... and the big thing for me is that I'm less likely to be sea sick with a
neoprene seal than a latex.

Having said all of this, the most important thing is the fit
. A bad fitting drysuit is about as pleasant as a fart in an Astronauts space suit :)

As for bad things - can't answer in all honesty but a bad fitting drysuit is about ....

Edit: Just thought of something - Pockets. You need good sized pockets to store DSMB and any other bits and bats and 2 of them is a good idea but make sure they are fitted on the side of the legs. Don't put pockets at the front of the legs - they are pain in the **** if you do any RIB diving.

I don't want to hijack Adam's thread but I am alos looking for a dry suit. What options are worth while and which ones a re a complete waste of money?

It really depends on what you are willing to spend. Also its a tough call to tell you what a waste of money is because everyone likes something a bit different....i could tell you that neoprene are a complete waste of money and that tri-lam is the way to go whereas someone may say the complete opposite.

at the end of the day, its what is comfortable on you (the fit) and keeps you dry.

Back
Top Bottom