Cold water first stage and second stage?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Except you need all three regulators, not just two. He should be making you a killer deal as they are used. That is his asking price and shipping should be combined.

For instance I bought the ones I got, of which one second stage was new and they all were in near perfect shape, for $265 shipped. Since these are more used the deal should be even better.

"New HOG balanced adjustable. Never been wet. In the box. $80"
From The Deco Stop
That should give you an idea of a starting price.

There was a short term promo when they were selling the HOG 1st stages for $100 and the 2nd stages for $50 to get the name out there.

If not contact Dive Right In Scuba and purchase a complete set brand new. They are not very expensive brand new!

I got the HOG regs in the classifieds. 2 second stages and a first stage, without the hoses though. I'm hoping its not too much for the hoses and to have my LDS install them.

I REALLY like my HOG D1 cold water regs!

Good choice!

The HOG regs never came with hoses. They are aimed at the technical diver who may use them for stage regs or maybe on a long hose. So why bother selling them and charging a customer for something they most likely will not use.

What length hoses do you want?

Hogartian setup for a BP/W is going to be 5-7 foot primary hose. With the backup, bungeed around your neck, on a 24 inch hose. You then need an inflator hose for your wing that should come with it or somewhere around 22 inches should work, but it depends what you are using for a wing.

Of course if you plan to just use the backup as an octo, it should be on a 40 inch hose with the primary on a something around 28 inches or so.

Then there is the pressure gauge...a 24 inch hoses works perfect with a single gauge (2-2.5 inches in diameter) on the end tied to a bolt snap that allows you to keep it on your right hip. Well unless you plan to use an ugg...console. Having your depth gauge and compass on your wrist is a best around here for ease of green water ascents and improved navigation.

So how do you plan on rigging them up? My preference is going to be the Hogarthian setup with a long hose. I do have some hoses spare hoses, so what is it going to be??

BTW it is not hard to put hoses on, just barely tighten them past hand tight. No biggie and no need to pay someone else to do them. You really need to find a mentor and learn the ropes from someone willing to share.

I don't plan on using a console. My computer and compass are going to be mounted on my wrist.

I don't have a BP/W, but I do like that hose setup. I don't have a backup yet, so for now one of the second stages is going to be used as an octopus, with the 28/40 inch setup. Once I get my second cold water first stage, and my 40cf pony bottle (which I'm almost positive i'm going to sling, not mount on my tank), I'd like to go with something more along the lines of the hogarthian setup. Long hose for primary, backup bungeed around neck. Not exactly sure what the exact hose lengths I want tho. And I don't know how to route the hoses correctly, if possible with a jacket inflate BC.

You can use a bungee set up with the jacket BC, I'd recommend a 5 footer for that, It just comes under the arm, across the chest, around the neck, and into your mouth. A 7 ft would not be the choice I'd make because there is likely nowhere to tuck the excess.

Your best bet with a 7 ft hose is to run it under a waist mounted canister light on the right side. Otherwise you can tuck the excess under your waistband or just dive a 5 footer as stated.

How tall are you? That helps dictate necessary length of hose. To save you money and energy relearning you might as well go with a long hose and bungee back up now. Those second stages you are getting work perfectly for that setup. No need for a pony just dive with a buddy.

No need for a pony just dive with a buddy.

Am going with the pony. Whats the best way to have the regulator setup with that? First and second stage attached to the pony bottle itself, but second stage readily accessible?

I never really thought about it till now, but if I have a pony bottle slung with the second stage out attached to my BC, or even around my neck, won't that create excess hose lengths which can get caught up easily in something, and create extra drag? Anyone use a larger pony bottle that wouldn't mind sharing how they set up theirs?

Hum.... i don't know but for me i dive in water temperature of 22 to 26 degree. But its not the coldest i'm going to dive.
That's why i did make sure both my reg is prepared for very cold temperature.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom