Cold water first stage and second stage?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You never did answer how tall you were??
Am going with the pony. Whats the best way to have the regulator setup with that? First and second stage attached to the pony bottle itself, but second stage readily accessible?

I never really thought about it till now, but if I have a pony bottle slung with the second stage out attached to my BC, or even around my neck, won't that create excess hose lengths which can get caught up easily in something, and create extra drag? Anyone use a larger pony bottle that wouldn't mind sharing how they set up theirs?
^This right there says you are not ready to dive with a pony nor dive solo. You really need to get with a mentor and learn the proper way to do things. People die diving, as you know we lost three people in one week here in California. You may still think you are above this and the greatest at everything...but you are NOT! I have been humbled by the ocean a few times and my respect grew for it. This is coming from someone who used to surf reefs.

You have had more than a few offers of people to take you diving and all you have to do is ask for help and you will receive it.

As to a pony you need a BP/W to fully stabilize it. I doubt your BC is setup to handle something clipped off to the left chest d-ring and the left hip d-ring.

Peter, I'm asking questions to learn. Don't preach to me. I don't care what you think about my diving. Besides you CAN set up a pony side mounted to a jacket inflate BC successfully. I've read it and seen it. just because I have questions doesn't disqualify me for anything.

I'm asking questions to learn.
So am I, and I am trying to help you. You still haven't answered the question of how tall you are?

Don't preach to me. I don't care what you think about my diving.
Why not, does it bother you? :crafty:

Besides you CAN set up a pony side mounted to a jacket inflate BC successfully. I've read it and seen it.
Don't you have a Black Diamond BC? It does not have a hip mounted d-ring does it? So just how are you going to accomplish this?
just because I have questions doesn't disqualify me for anything.
When your question gets answered in a way you do not like, don't discredit that answer either. Fair enough?

I've received plenty of your opinion on my diving in the past, so as long as your answer doesn't sound like a repeat of what you've already stated multiple times, that's fair enough.

I have a Seaquest Pro XLT BC. The black diamond was one I was considering, but didn't end up going for. It has multiple D-rings on either side, although I'm not sure if one is quite close enough to my hip to be considered a hip mounted D-ring. I am 5 feet 10 inches.

The HOG D1 Cold and the HOG 2nd use proven design technology and are built to minimize the risk of a cold water induced failure. I rarely dive in water warmer than 50F and often find myself in water colder than 40F and I have yet to have a problem with them. Anything can freeze, however, especially if you don't follow cold water protocols.

My cold-water fleet includes some HOG D1's, some Apeks TX100's, some Apeks DS4's and a couple old Zeagle/Apeks. I mostly consider them to be comparable, performance-wise - though the D1 2nds breathe a little easier. I'm also a mfr trained technician for all of these and very familiar with the internals.

The only thought I would add is that ice divers should skip all of the balanced/adjustable 2nd stages and look around for a metal body, unbalanced, 2nd without a cracking pressure adjustment. That, and a good psychiatrist. :D The primitive metal monsters breathe hard and are s**t at depth but they are the hardest design available to freeze.

Full disclosure: I run the repair room for DRIS.

I have a Seaquest Pro XLT BC. The black diamond was one I was considering, but didn't end up going for. It has multiple D-rings on either side, although I'm not sure if one is quite close enough to my hip to be considered a hip mounted D-ring.
Not going to work well as there is it is not set up for slinging a pony/stage bottle. Sell it and buy a BP/W :rofl3:

I am 5 feet 10 inches.
Then a 5 foot hose would suit you just fine for a long time and streamline nicely. The hose will come under your right arm, across your chest, behind your head into your mouth. Some bungee cord from somewhere like REI or West Marine for your backup reg, along with a 24" hose and you would be set. The bungee backup means you will always know right where your backup is, not having it dragging in the sand (Seen that more than a few times). The long hose will make air shares easy and stay close to your body so kelp does not bump it around in your mouth. Plus if you get the buddy that swims with their hands they will have a much harder time trying to remove the reg from your mouth by grabbing the hose that is now kept closer to your body.

Your BC should have come with an inflator hose for it. Your new BP/W should come with one too, but if not they are around $30.

Not going to work well as there is it is not set up for slinging a pony/stage bottle. Sell it and buy a BP/W :rofl3:

I'm not getting a BP/W, at least not anytime soon. You are wrong, i'm positive there is a way to sling it with a jacket inflate BC. I've read that this configuration can be done, and read others explain how they have done it on similar BCs to mine. Even if I have to make a couple modifications.

Worst case scenario, I just mount the pony to my tank. Problem solved. Not as sleek as I want it to be, but in the open environments I mostly dive in it certainly won't be a problem.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom