Cold water protection

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

andrewk99

New
Reaction score
I have a tusa rs340 reg and was diving this past weekend. at 88ft temp was 37 degrees f, and it began to free flow. I don't believe this reg has any cold water protection, does anyone know of a way/kit that can be added to it to add some sort of protection? Thanks

Hello-
The R-300 first stage can be equipped with an Environmental Kit, part #EK-300, which can be purchased from your LDS, MSRP is $36.00. They are available and in stock in the USA. All TUSA regulators can be used in standard configuration to 10C/40F out of the box, any temperatures below that point, it is recommended to use a environmental kit for additional protection.

Hello-
The R-300 first stage can be equipped with an Environmental Kit, part #EK-300, which can be purchased from your LDS, MSRP is $36.00. They are available and in stock in the USA. All TUSA regulators can be used in standard configuration to 10C/40F out of the box, any temperatures below that point, it is recommended to use a environmental kit for additional protection.

I did a search for this part and can't locate it. Can you point me in the right direction?
Thanks

HI-
You will need to contact a TUSA dealer and request the part be ordered unless they have it in stock. Stock is available for shipment to your LDS.
For a listing of dealers click here.

The manual indicates the RS-340 can be used at any temperature. Why would it need a special kit?

Hello-

Just to correct, the 10C temperature converted to F is 50, not 40.

The manual indicates the RS-340 can be used at any temperature. Why would it need a special kit?

It does indeed say that in the manual, likely because this is a diaphragm regulator. Diaphragm regs are usually more resistant to cold that piston regs. The service manual recommends the Cold Water kit if used below 50F and recommends not using this reg at all below 40F water.

That being said, even the best cold water regs can freeze up. The environmental (cold water kit) kit will just seal water away from the large spring you can see at one end of the reg and the diaphragm inside. This helps prevent ice from building up on the spring which can cause problems with the regulator performance and lead to free flow.

Unless you are diving in water below 50F, you really shouldn't need this, but for the price, I would have the kit installed. At the least, it will keep more of the reg free from salt water and corrosion.

Cold water diving freeflows can also be 2nd stage problems, which there is little that can be done to prevent other that using cold water specific regs.....and even still, it can happen.

I did the new years eve dive at Dutch Springs. My computer showed 41F at 58 feet. My standard Tusa RS-340 without the cold water kit did not have any problems. I only inhaled and exhaled once through the reg before the dive to test my air. I think the air temp was mid 30F.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom